Advanced Search

Circular Saw Blades

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Circular Saw Blades

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Just got a call asking if I could sharpen these and I kinda stumbled around since I’ve never done one.  Anyone have a suggestion or two how to go about it?  There’s no bevel, right?  I can’t imagine that I could clamp it into the WE and make it work.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I did a quick search on the subject and it does not look like this sharpening task is readily amenable to the Wicked Edge setup. I could imagine you probably could build a special adapter of some kind to make it work, but there are already tools out there that are specifically designed for sharpening circular saw blades. You can also sharpen them by hand with a file.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Sharpening carbide teeth on saw blades is pretty much a powered grinder proposition.  Harbor Freight makes a pretty simple one @ $54.99,  With their 20% coupons, it’s only $44.  You can see it here on Youtube. I see a number of other methods and jigs there, too, including with a diamond wheel on a table saw.   The blades is held flat on the table saw surface and indexed to put the next tooth in position.

I think there might be saw blades out there with alternating teeth slightly angle to left and right, which would complicate things, but I have a collection of about a dozen blades and they all look straight.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Sharpening carbide teeth on saw blades is pretty much a powered grinder proposition. Harbor Freight makes a pretty simple one @ $54.99, With their 20% coupons, it’s only $44. You can see it here on Youtube. I see a number of other methods and jigs there, too, including with a diamond wheel on a table saw. The blades is held flat on the table saw surface and indexed to put the next tooth in position. I think there might be saw blades out there with alternating teeth slightly angle to left and right, which would complicate things, but I have a collection of about a dozen blades and they all look straight.

Thank you so much for that link, I’m picking one up tomorrow!  Yes, in the comments a guy mentions that the alternate angles back and forth.  There is an additional adjustment (which he failed to talk about) that allows for the motor to be tilted so problem solved.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.