Advanced Search

Chosera Stones and the Angle Cube

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Chosera Stones and the Angle Cube

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Hello everyone. I have been contemplating purchasing the Chosera stones in the hope of really increasing the mirror finish of the edges on my knifes. Since it appears that the Chosera stones are thicker than the diamand and ceramic stones, I was wondering if anyone has any tricks or advise on using the angle cube with the Chosera stones and setting the angle to match the angle originally utilized with the diamond stones since they are not magnetic.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Mark,

Welcome here!

Yup, the Chosera’s are a great addition to the stock stones if you’re out for a mirror edge. If I want that, I usually use the 5K/10K stones after the ceramic stones. An added bonus is the “feedback” these stones give.

They are indeed a bit thicker than the diamond/ceramics stones (at least mine were when I got them), but they also wear. That’s two reasons for getting an angle cube. There’s no need for the stones to have a magnetic back. It’s easy enough to put the angle cube on a stone and then hold it with one hand.

It also works with or without PP II. Setting the right angle is just a bit easier with PP II. It is not necessary, however, to match exactly the same angle on every stone within .1 degree or so. (Although some people seem to aim for this; the precision the WEPS gives you is unequalled.) I find it is sufficient if the deviation remains within about .5 degrees.

Let us know some of your results if you get the Choseras!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark Massie
    Participant

Thanks for the input Mark. I am still saving up for them so may be a while before I actually get my hands on them! Thanks again.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Not being magnetic doesn’t matter, you can just hold the angle cube against the Chosera stone, and then adjust you’re angle. You can do the same with the ceramics or leather. I do it by reaching over and holding it from the top with my opposite hand, (so hold the stone/cube with my left while adjusting the right side and vice versa) then adjust the angle.

Choseras should definitely bring out the mirror polish! :woohoo:

Mark Massie
    Participant

CBWX34,

Thank you so much.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Not being magnetic doesn’t matter, you can just hold the angle cube against the Chosera stone, and then adjust you’re angle. You can do the same with the ceramics or leather. I do it by reaching over and holding it from the top with my opposite hand, (so hold the stone/cube with my left while adjusting the right side and vice versa) then adjust the angle.

Choseras should definitely bring out the mirror polish! :woohoo:

Couldn’t have said it any more clearly.. Exactly what I do 🙂
    +1 on the mirror polish. After using the Choseras…and comparing the results to what I used to think was a “mirror” edge.. well it changed my entire definition of a mirror edge on a knife.

You will love your results, I promise!

Phil

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Hi, Mark

Just confirming what everyone has already said about the Chosera stones. They work great and you’ll find that the progression needed to get that mirror finish will vary to your desire for perfection.

As for my progression with the Chosera’s they go like this: 2K -> 5K

2K will polish, but 5K is when the mirror takes affect to my liking. It also creates a very biting edge and you can always finish at this point.

But for my liking I have some Shapton stones in this progression: 8K -> 12K

I use the Shaptons to really finish off the edges to a highly reflective finish and the edge is even sharper still. You’ll be mesmerized once you get to this point and that’s when the addiction/obsession comes in, well at least for me anyway.

As for your original question about the angle cube, you’ll find once you’ve gained experience and given the thickness of the stones you’ll have a standard number of clicks (setting) to compensate for that thickness that it will become rout. So as you gain experience you’ll use the angle cube only on the initial angle checks. Subsequent checks are always recommended, but I find it slows me down, so I usually check the polish on the blade surface and adjust my angles accordingly. Just do a lot of sharpening with your stones and you’ll get what I’m saying about the surface polish feedback.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.