Advanced Search

Ceramics and Choceras

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Ceramics and Choceras

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

So has anyone come off the ceramics and gone Straight to the Chocera 5k? Or is this too big of a jump? Any thoughts?

Don Llewellyn
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 43

I was wondering the same thing – right now I finish with the 1200/1600 and the 2k/3k stones seem like to small a jump while the 5k/10k seems like it might be too much.

Scott Babineaux
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 80

1600 Ceramic is 2.85 microns
    #2000/3000 Chosera is 6.7/4 microns so this is actually less fine
    #5000/10000 Chosera is 2.8/1.74 microns so it is actually a very minor increase.

I’m actually looking to go to 1 micron after the 1600 ceramic.

David
    Participant

Not having my ceramics yet I don’t really know how or if they cut, or do they mainly just polish?
    Has anyone tried it yet that has both the ceramics and Choceras?

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Replies: 342

You can go from the ceramic 1600 directly to the Chosera 5K. I suggest making a little slurry on the 5K by wetting the stones, and rubbing them together. This will make the stones a little more aggressive in cleaning things up and establishing a true Chosera 5K edge.

Depending on your level of OCD, you may want to step back to the 3K Chosera to really clean things up before the 5K.

David
    Participant

Wahoo. That’s good to hear Tom. Maybe once I get my fire pay I can order the Choceras 5k 10k pack. Then slowly start filling in with the water stones from there. Do you think there will ever be a paddle with the 8k snow white on it?

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Replies: 342

We can get you a Snow White WEPS stone. 😉

Personally, I have placed my 8K Snow White between the 5K and 10K Choseras on my other progressions. It’s not completely necessary – it’s a matter of fewer stones with more strokes, or more stones with fewer strokes, but I find that the 8K snow white really does clean up the 5K very nicely for the 10K. B)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.