Advanced Search

Ceramic Stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Ceramic Stones

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Where to the super fine and micro fine stones fit in the sharpening progression? It seem like most people talk about going from the 1500 grit/9 micron laps and down but I don’t see anything talking about where, when and how ceramics are used.  I’m trying to figure out if they are a valuable tool or not.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I own the micro-fine ceramics and I like them. I will typically use them after the 1500 diamond instead of reaching for the lapping films. The ceramic stones are not a rapidly consumable item like the lapping films are (although you might be able to wear them down over the course of a lifetime or two of sharpening). They also leave a different edge finish that seems to have more tooth to it when compared to the diamond lapping film finish, but that could just be a figment of my imagination.

The question as to where they fit in the overall grit progression has been discussed numerous times on the forum. You should try doing a search. Check out this knowledge base article as well.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

They also leave a different edge finish that seems to have more tooth to it when compared to the diamond lapping film finish, but that could just be a figment of my imagination.

They do make a knife significantly sharper in the one dimension that the BESS sharpening machine measures. I like to use them after the 1500 diamonds as well if I’m not going for a mirror finish. If I’m going for a mirror finish and also want a sharper edge, then I’ll create the primary bevel at a lower angle and polish it as much as needed, then create a micro-bevel a few degrees wider with the Micro-Fine white stone.

-Clay

6 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Just so you know, some of the grits and sharpening mediums are used, “either/or”.  The sharpening stones are not intended to all work together in one long sharpening progression inclusive of every stone and grit.  Like Organic explained above…one or the other.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.