Advanced Search

Cause for concern?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Cause for concern?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Martin
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

As you probably read in my other thread I just got some new stones and strops in. Well I last night had them all out and this morning I was getting ready to put them away, I noticed that a few of the diamond plates are loose, and one specifically I feel is worse than the others. These are from my original pro pack 1 kit. The ends on some are slightly raised, and I can push them back down easily, but they rise up again. If i put a straight edge across the face of the stone, there is a slight belly. Not a concern, except for the one that is the worst, it has about a 3/32″ belly to it. I guess my questions are is there a way to stop this further? or is this common, and it won’t fall off they all do that. I am only concerned because some are rock solid, some have a small flex on the end, and some are as described above. Now, let me say straight away: I’ve cleaned them 3 times, like this. Rinse with light cool water, scrub toothbrush with bar keepers friend on plates, rinse off immediately and then hand towel and then paper towel dry immediately. I wash and dry each stone individually, always use cold water, never let them stay wet. I love this thing and I treat it just as good, if not better than my knives. I can upload pics if someone would like to see. I hope I’m overreacting, my biggest fear would be having to break new stones in! (Well no, it would be having to buy new stones, but you know what i mean.) Thanks for your time everyone, and I do appreciate all the help. I’m on vacation this week so I’ll try and reply asap. Thanks again.

Patrick

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Patrick,

I’d love to see a photo. It seems very odd that the metal plates would bend or warp on their own, it makes me think that they were warped to start with and that the adhesive was holding them in a straight position. If you want to keep the stones, you could remove them, lay them face down on a flat surface and tap them flat with a mallet and we could supply you with the proper VHB tape to re-affix them to the handles. Of course we’ll replace anything that is warped or otherwise not to spec but you’d have to break the new stones in. Please put up a picture of what you’re experiencing and also give us a call: 877-616-9911.

–Clay

-Clay

Patrick Martin
    Participant

Hey Patrick,

I’d love to see a photo. It seems very odd that the metal plates would bend or warp on their own, it makes me think that they were warped to start with and that the adhesive was holding them in a straight position. If you want to keep the stones, you could remove them, lay them face down on a flat surface and tap them flat with a mallet and we could supply you with the proper VHB tape to re-affix them to the handles. Of course we’ll replace anything that is warped or otherwise not to spec but you’d have to break the new stones in. Please put up a picture of what you’re experiencing and also give us a call: 877-616-9911.

–Clay

Well that was an adventure with my wife helping with the pics. Lol.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

it’s definitely something that needs to be fixed, but as Clay said, it shouldn’t be hard to fix yourself and you could be back up and running again =)

Patrick Martin
    Participant

Hey Patrick,

–Clay

Didn’t get a chance to call today, got hung up with the wife. I checked every one of my stones, and a few are very slightly wobbly, the only ones that are a concern are the 800 1000s. I’ll call tomorrow. With WE customer service, I know whatever the solution is we’ll figure it out. Best service I’ve ever had the pleasure dealing with.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.