Advanced Search

Case Trapper CV Question

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Case Trapper CV Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mjcollier
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 36

Now this is not the most glamorous knife but I like it. The CV steel isn’t stainless, I believe it’s similar to 1090 with 0.30%-0.50% of chrome and vanadium. I has minor areas on the blades where oxidation is starting and I was thinking about taking 7000 grit paper trying to make more of a matte finish while also erasing some of the spots.

Will doing this cause it to more readily rust?

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Morning,
    I found this handle steel chart here that lists it as ” CV Steel:1095 Steel with added Chromium (1%) and Vanadium (.18%) to improve hardening and strength. The term usually refers to knives made by W.R. Case & Son but others also use the steel. It is sometimes referred to as a semi-stainless carbon steel due to the added chromium.”

Id probably go with something like a scotch brite pad to minimize material removal but a fine grit sandpaper would work slightly better if the pitting is deeper.  Since it is listed as a semi-stainless carbon you may want to consider a protective coat of  something like a 3-in-one oil.  Sometimes just a light rubbing with 3-in-one can remove surface oxidation without having to resurface the entire primary bevel.

Aloha, Cliff

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

When I’d find a little surface rust on my firearms, I’d scrub the area with #0000 steel wool and WD-40.   Would this also be an application for the fiberglass pens?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mjcollier
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 36

I’m shocked it’s considered semi stainless with 1% chrome. D2 is at 12% chrome and is considered semi stainless.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

#0000 steel wool is also what I use, sometimes with a little polishing paste. But I’d start with a wet scotch brite sponge.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.