Advanced Search

Case for WE130, upgrade options?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Case for WE130, upgrade options?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That is almost the exact progression I use when I’m going all in; 100#-1500# on the diamond plates and then 6 micron, 3 micron, 1.5 micron, 4 micron / 2 micron on cow leather.

You will undoubtedly discover that the strops work quite differently than the diamond plates and diamond lapping films do. The diamond particles are not totally stationary on the surface and the leather itself seems to grip the steel. There is still a bit of mystery behind exactly what is happening at a microscopic level, but the net effect seems to be that the jagged scratches left on the bevels by the hard abrasives are smoothed over and the apex is cleaned of any remaining burr. Because they work so differently, it is not uncommon to use a strop loaded with diamond particles significantly larger than those of your previous non-strop abrasive.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

That progression you wrote is a winner, Justin.  The grit progression when switching media is not always linear, (i.e., 4,3,2,1).   The abrasives may be different and behave a little differently when attached to a different substrate.  I have found that when I switch medium it is never hurtful or a waste of time to step back up the grit chart one size.  So 1500 Dia Stone > 6µ DLF, 3µ, 1.5µ > 4µ Strop, 2µ Strop will deliver quite an ultra sharp and finely polished edge.  You may want to also use 1.0µ strop then 0.5µ if your goal is really a mirror polished edge.

This is what Organic is using good results.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Justin Fournier
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 54

Thanks Guys. I was able to add the 1500 diamond/Glass handle pack and a 1.5 micron sheet, so hopefully that arrives by the end of the week and I can get a knife through the new system.

Only question left is where I can get to on the HHT test, and do I need to add 2-4 more steps below 0.5 micron at some point to get to HHT-5. But not today!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Justin you’ll be forced to be patient.  There is a break-in period on your new stones.  There is a learning curve to figure out the WEPS and most important you’ll need to develop a technique that gives you repetitive, consistent, effective results before you’ll have an edge to qualify in a HHT.  It won’t be too long.  I’d suggest you do a YouTube search for a “Hanging Hair Test” video.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Justin Fournier
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 54

I’ve got decent results before, Marc. Just nothing super crazy blow my mind, considering the PITA setup was. I see now that I could have cured that with a chamois, but somehow that escaped me until I was already well into getting the Upgrade to the 130 model. I would say  I can easily reach in the shaving sharp range, I could gently slide the knife down my arm and easily shave the hairs off without damaging my skin, no problem. Mirror polish edges, absolutely. Sticky sharp in a fingernail. But not HHT sharp. Might be that I was using an inappropriate progression as well.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Justin, sounds like your well on your way.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.