Advanced Search

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Caring for your exotic wood knife handles

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hmmm! No I don’t read Dutch, I just play at it using Google Translate! 😉 I look forward to hearing the results of your experiments with, ‘boiled linseed oil’ whatever it may be. LOL!
    Later mate!
    Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

No I don’t read Dutch, I just play at it using Google Translate! 😉

I only just discovered it’s a very good site with the pros and cons of many types of oil. http://www.hout-olie.nl/ Maybe give Google Translate another chance.

A very brief summary:

• Boiled linseed oil is a traditional very good wood protector and improver. It is, well, boiled linseed oil with a number of additives to make it penetrate the wood better. Very good protection, but makes the wood slightly yellowish. It does not make the wood shiny. Use a wax after impregnation.
    • Tung oil is similar to linseed oil, but perhaps even better. It gives less of a yellow shine to the wood and brings out the drawing of the wood very well. It also does not make the wood shiny.
    • Danish oil is a mixture that contains various oils. It impregnates wood as good as boiled linseed oil and improved tung oil, but brings out the drawing in the wood even better. It also makes the wood a bit shiny. No need to use a wax afterwards. Danish oil is recommended by the website for wood that is used indoors and that you want to get shiny.
    • And Bankirai oil, hard wood oil, hard wax oil, improved wood oil, impregnation oil, colour oil, teak oil, turpentine oil and white spiril oil …

I just ordered a bottle of Danish oil. When I get to it, I’ll post some pics to compare linseed oil to Danish oil.

And I happened to stumble upon some pics of a knife handle treated with Tung oil the other day. Good stuff! :cheer:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

An excellent and useful post Mark! Thanks for that. 🙂

Leo

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.