Advanced Search

Carbide pull-through cutter with adjustable angle?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Carbide pull-through cutter with adjustable angle?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

I am curious to try a carbide pull-through “sharpener” for the specific purpose of cutting a relief bevel on cheap or abused knives. It would be necessary to set a much lower angle than these devices normally come with as I don’t want the carbide blades to touch the edge of the knife but only the shoulder area. Has anyone seen one where the angle can be adjusted, or otherwise modified to provide about a 12° (24° included) angle?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I am curious to try a carbide pull-through “sharpener” for the specific purpose of cutting a relief bevel on cheap or abused knives. It would be necessary to set a much lower angle than these devices normally come with as I don’t want the carbide blades to touch the edge of the knife but only the shoulder area. Has anyone seen one where the angle can be adjusted, or otherwise modified to provide about a 12° (24° included) angle?

if you can wait a little while, we’ll have one out…

-Clay

Mr.Wizard
    Participant

Are you joking? I assumed I was crazy for wanting to try this. :silly:

wickededge
    Keymaster

Are you joking? I assumed I was crazy for wanting to try this. :silly:

Not joking at all 🙂 we’re working on the prototypes now.

-Clay

Mr.Wizard
    Participant

Imagine that! Is it intended specifically for relief beveling or as a general purpose tool?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Imagine that! Is it intended specifically for relief beveling or as a general purpose tool?

It’s mostly intended as a quick touch-up at a specified angle but will have a more aggressive component to be used as needed, especially in the field.

-Clay

Mr.Wizard
    Participant

Clay, is there any news regarding this?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, is there any news regarding this?

We have the prototypes that we’re testing now. We’ll be making some tweaks before we move to tooling and production.

-Clay

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.