Advanced Search

Can a Wicked Edge sharpen an axe?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Can a Wicked Edge sharpen an axe?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

lol i’m sorry but that would take FOREVER on the axes I sharpen! =)

You may consider mounting a good quality file to the WE paddle so you would get a longer stroke with each pass, it wouldn’t tear up your diamond stones (replacements are relatively cheap too), and it will probably be more aggresive… just a thought!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

What Josh? Are you saying you don’t want a mirror finish on your axe? And you don’t even strop it? :woohoo:

😆 😛 😆

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 22

Hi razorededgedknives, thanks for replying to this thread I started. I like your idea about mounting a file to the WE paddle. A few questions from a newbie: standard bastard file? Would you use epoxy for the mounting adhesive? Any files you know of that are manufactured naturally to about the correct size for mounting on a WE paddle? Thanks again.

Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 22

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to photograph your setup.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hi razorededgedknives, thanks for replying to this thread I started. I like your idea about mounting a file to the WE paddle. A few questions from a newbie: standard bastard file? Would you use epoxy for the mounting adhesive? Any files you know of that are manufactured naturally to about the correct size for mounting on a WE paddle? Thanks again.

any standard epoxy should be just fine… I mounted a corrugated scissor file to one of my paddles (for corrugating scissors) with JB weld and it worked great… but I don’t ever plan on removing it! I am not sure about the quality or size on files… it may be worth starting a new thread requesting information on high quality files and of the correct size. also, a quick google search should yield a ton of info 😆

If you don’t want it to be permanently mounted to your paddle then you need to select the correct epoxy… not sure what that would be though.

Horia
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

Any news from the development of  Wicked edge ax attachment?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Thanks for re-flagging this thread, Horia.  I don’t know whether or not WE is working on an axe-sharpener or not, but I do have an idea that seems to fit.

A few years ago, my smarter brother saw my WE rig and decided to try something home-made.  He had a near-by Habitat ReStore which had lots of machinery-related hardware, so he picked up a few parts here and there and made his own version, based on what he could remember about my WE.  He had some linear slide parts and extruded aluminum fixture material, so his is floor-mounted.  The smallest linear guide hardware was about 1/2″ or 5/8″ in diameter, with circulating ball=bearing slides.  He made up his own slide blocks as you’ll see in the middle photo below, attaching the large sharpening stones, as well as one with a triangle stone (from the SharpMaker I had given him) to the slide blocks.  It only does one side at a time, but the rig works very well.

It occurs to me that with such a floor-mounted rig, you really wouldn’t need the clamping vise.  You could clamp your axe against your bench or in a machinist’s vise, then position the floor section to achieve the angle you want.  Maybe the floor-section is mounted to a section of plywood, which you’d stand on to keep it from moving. You could also make up a couple of slide blocks with files, maybe one bastard and the other a mill file.  There’s really no limit to the scale of your design.

This first photo shows him working the edge of a chef’s knife mounted in his home-made vise.  Sorry for the postage stamp insert.  I recovered the photos from a SIM card, so there was no original.

20140608_144351 comp

This next photo shows the floor-mount hardware with all of his stones on the rod for storage.

20140608_144702 comp

Here’s a wider angle view.

20140608_144654 comp

As you can see, this rig took very little effort and expense to build.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We are still working on it though we’ve totally maxed out the design group and machine shop with all the redesigns we did last year plus the new sharpener. We have the chisel adapter redesigned and waiting prototyping as well as the SWAT jigs. Just need the shop to have more bandwidth. Once we’re smoothly up and running and out of the preorder production for the GOs, development will start to speed up again.

-Clay

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Justin Fournier
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 54

Sounds awesome Clay. What is a SWAT jig?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Sounds awesome Clay. What is a SWAT jig?

SWAT is the new name. VSTA is the original name.  The original design doesn’t line up as well as it should for it’s best effectiveness on the newer style WE sharpeners, thus the redesign.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

SWAT is the new name. VSTA is the original name.

It’s actually the other way around. Curtis dubbed it the SWAT but our part name is VSTA. A lot of people on the forum, like me, got used to calling it the SWAT jig and haven’t gotten out of the habit.

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Horia
    Participant

We are still working on it though we’ve totally maxed out the design group and machine shop with all the redesigns we did last year plus the new sharpener. We have the chisel adapter redesigned and waiting prototyping as well as the SWAT jigs. Just need the shop to have more bandwidth. Once we’re smoothly up and running and out of the preorder production for the GOs, development will start to speed up again.

That will be awesome , because even if out there are a few interesting options like the new “KME Axe Sharpening Fixture” i would prefer to use an axe attachment for my Wicked edge sharpening system.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Horia
    Participant

Thanks for re-flagging this thread, Horia. I don’t know whether or not WE is working on an axe-sharpener or not, but I do have an idea that seems to fit. A few years ago, my smarter brother saw my WE rig and decided to try something home-made. He had a near-by Habitat ReStore which had lots of machinery-related hardware, so he picked up a few parts here and there and made his own version, based on what he could remember about my WE. He had some linear slide parts and extruded aluminum fixture material, so his is floor-mounted. The smallest linear guide hardware was about 1/2″ or 5/8″ in diameter, with circulating ball=bearing slides. He made up his own slide blocks as you’ll see in the middle photo below, attaching the large sharpening stones, as well as one with a triangle stone (from the SharpMaker I had given him) to the slide blocks. It only does one side at a time, but the rig works very well. It occurs to me that with such a floor-mounted rig, you really wouldn’t need the clamping vise. You could clamp your axe against your bench or in a machinist’s vise, then position the floor section to achieve the angle you want. Maybe the floor-section is mounted to a section of plywood, which you’d stand on to keep it from moving. You could also make up a couple of slide blocks with files, maybe one bastard and the other a mill file. There’s really no limit to the scale of your design. This first photo shows him working the edge of a chef’s knife mounted in his home-made vise. Sorry for the postage stamp insert. I recovered the photos from a SIM card, so there was no original. 20140608_144351 comp This next photo shows the floor-mount hardware with all of his stones on the rod for storage. 20140608_144702 comp Here’s a wider angle view. 20140608_144654 comp As you can see, this rig took very little effort and expense to build.

Thanks @tcmeyer, for giving us some great ideas. Still i would like to find a way to sharpen my axe with the wicked edge system with an addapter somehow; i hope that wicked edge team will continue their great work of innovation and bring us a great attachment for sharpening an axe on the wicked edge system.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

It seems like a very larger version of the “Tormek Small Knife Adapter” might be just the ticket.  If only it was available.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.