Advanced Search

Can a Wicked Edge sharpen an axe?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Can a Wicked Edge sharpen an axe?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Well, here’s my Wetterlings large hunting axe…

:mrgreen:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Wonderful Mark! I would have never thought…but how is it being held there to paddle, when it won’t fit the vise? BTW, they make one of the best axes in the world!

Leo

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Excellent slight of vise, Mark! :cheer: That took me a minute!B)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Wait til you guys see our new ax attachment – still very much under development, but it’s very cool!

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

:mrgreen:

I should have posted this a month ago, but alas. And there is some seriousness in it, since I did use the WEPS stones to sharpen my Wetterlings.

It is indeed a great axe, Leo. Here a Gransfors Bruks is regarded as an even better finished axe, but the Wetterlings fits my hands much better. And the WEPS diamond stones took care of the finish… 🙂 .

Great to hear that you are developing an axe extension, Clay! Will you please make sure that it does low angles as well and that it can sharpen pencils? :mrgreen:

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Charles Alfonzo
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I just received my WEPS and am going through the learning process and trying to sharpen everything in sight. Just for kicks, I pulled out an old SOG Tomahawk to see if I could sharpen it on the WEPS. Its definitely no Wetterlings or Gransfors and I have not been too pleased with it so I figured I could do no harm. Set at 30 on each side at its height gives it about a 17 degree angle. So yes, you can sharpen an axe if its a cheapie like the SOG. It is much sharper than before when it honestly was like a dull butterknife and at least works like an axe.

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant

Hahah! ROFL!

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

Wait til you guys see our new ax attachment – still very much under development, but it’s very cool!

Hi Clay, I was splitting some logs on Saturday, any progress on axe attachment?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hi Clay, I was splitting some logs on Saturday, any progress on axe attachment?[/quote]

Not yet, but it’s high on the list!

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

So what am I missing? How do you attach an axe that thick? Color me confused….

Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 22

Hi Clay, I am pretty new to the wicked edge but have jumped in with both feet. After the first couple of knives, I am now able to consistently get knives as sharp as I could before when I got lucky on a stone or an edge pro. I too would be interested in purchasing an axe/hatchet holder for my wicked edge. I love good small kindling and putting a Wicked Edge sharpening edge on my Gransfors Bruk hatchet would be sweet.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Perhaps its just a question of long enough screws.
    But I have not ordered longer, which reminds me….I need to do this.

wickededge
    Keymaster

It might be hard to hit the angles on the hatchet even if you do add longer screws so you can clamp the head in the vise. If you find you’re not able to hit the angles you need, we can set you up with a longer degree bar.

-Clay

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

I tried sharpen my axe and was quite successful. I removed one jaw and use 3 simple accessories:

1. books to support the haft
    2. wooden wedge
    3. the clamp

It should be obvious from the images. I set angles 32 and 13, which creates 24 degrees angle per side on the axe. It takes some time to find the best position for the axe – to hold firm and nothing impedes.And it takes quite a time, because the edge was more damaged than in case of typical knife.

Mark76
    Participant

Hahah! Lol! 😆

Great!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.