Advanced Search

Business Advertising

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Business Advertising

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh Miller
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 7

I have gotten an overwhelming amount of interest from people with dull knives and they want them sharpened. I decided to get some business cards made and was curious about using the Wicked Edge name as in ” All knives sharpened utilizing the Wicked Edge System” Are there any trademark rules or anything with doing this? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Clay can probably answer better but I highly doubt it… They would probably love that because it is getting the Wicked Edge name out there and is basically free advertising for them. I actually advertise it on my website just like that as well. All you are saying is that you use their product to sharpen knives – No different than if you said you use anything else to sharpen a knife.

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

It is highly likely that the Wicked Edge name is trademarked, so you would need a lawyer and a contract with Clay to govern the use of it. It is likely possible, but not financially worth the cost to make it happen.

Usually, those owning the rights to a product name are rather particular how it is used because it can be used easily in a manner that the owner didn’t intend, then the owner of the trademark runs into a problem with reputation.

I could see here that if you put that on your card, the risk Clay is taking is that if you sharpen with the Wicked Edge as part of your business theme, then if you have a deficiency in your ability to sharpen a knife to the customer’s preference, or whatever, then that customer may attribute that problem to the Wicked Edge and you, or just the Wicked Edge. I would imagine that you would want your business sharpening to stand alone, without having to use the Wicked Edge name to stand it up.

Of course, if someone asks what you sharpened with and you tell them a Wicked Edge, that will happen and usually would, but then it is seen as the tool and Wicked Edge being affiliated legally with your business.

As Josh stated, Clay would determine.

Grant Dunham
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

I’d be interested to hear what Clay has to say. What I use – “All knives sharpened by hand.” People don’t know Wicked Edge. But they do know electric services.

Josh Miller
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 7

wepsflana, great point as I do want my sharpening to speak for itself not what I use. also most people aren’t going to know the Wicked Edge name anyway.
    thanks for the input fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.