Advanced Search

Buck X-Tract Muli-tool

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

When I close my eyes I see mirror polished knife edges.

I understand the advice to take it slow.

A little over a dozen years ago I was in a fender-bender and ended up with a torn rotator cuff. After the surgery I was told to rebuild all my actions by doing them in slow motion. Go through the full range of motion, slowly with deep concentration The muscle memory develops and keeps things aligned once the pace picks up.

So, I know I’ve got to move slow. Take my time; make sure the stones are flush on the blade, etc. etc., etc. then a nice, slow smooth motion. Over and slowly over again.

Here’s a picture of my Buck every day multi-tool.

As you can see, I’m not venturing into the land of perfection as yet. But, this blade has never, ever been sharper.

I can see “flaws”.

I superimposed two alternately lighted images. Each one brings out its own images of minutely flawed sharpening.

I’ve sharpened a dozen or so knives since and I now know that I will have to go back and ACTUALLY sharpen the Buck even better this time!

I’m so happy to say that!! This Buck has never been this sharp. And, since I’ve done a few more knives since this one, I can see some improvements needing made.

I also wanted to put this out to the forum for anything you see that will improve my techniques.

I feel I’m still having difficulty with the knife tips. I’ve also got this artistic, complex, kind of wavy double-bevel going on! I’ve got a VEHO but haven’t gotten it fine-tuned enough to provide me a good enough view. I’m ordering up some new glasses and I’m looking into a new jeweler’s loop or some form of strong magnifying lens.)

I’m hearing a lot of difference between stones & grits. And am learning to feel more through my hands, but I need to see!!

There was a pretty solid flattened chunk near the heel from cutting an electrical cord. I feel good about how that spot turned out.

Like I said, I’m so happy with how sharp it is now. I’m excitedly anticipating getting it back on the vise to really finish and then polish it up.

Any advice would be most welcome.

And, a question. How OCD do I need to be with the angles? The angle cube reads down to two decimal places.

If a 20 degree (40 degree total) reads on the cube as 19.75 and 20.35, it looks to the mathematician’s eye to be a HUGE .6 of a degree difference – more than half a degree.

On this Buck, using the Sharpie, the angles were 15.5 (L) and 15.3 (R). So, that’s what I left it set to. (I was going to put it into the knife database but there are a couple pieces of information I still need to gather.) (You’ve all probably seen this ages ago — Buck’s .pdf on sharpening instructions, including their preferred angles. http://www.buckknives.com/resources/pdf/Buck_Knives_Knife_Sharpening_Instructions.pdf )

What degree of angle difference makes a noticeable difference in either the visual appearance and cutting experience? Some videos talk about a “full” one degree difference between the two sides – is this worrisome? (It hasn’t been to me, but I’m a newbie and don’t know any better.)

Thanks, in advance, for anything you can point out to move my skills forward (or back a step or two and then forward).

I enjoy being a part of this team/family. The breadth and depth on the forum is amazing…..

For Now,

Gib Curry
    Writer
    425-478-9970

φ

Attachments:

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

A word or two on the ~Veho.
    I have the 400x model and ~I use it on an iMac& I set the preview size up to 1600×1200 in options go as high as your screen resolution will allow.
    I cut a wedge out of some pine battening to lay the knife in so the edge is up and steady . Firstly I would focus on something big at 400X then it is easier to go down to a blade edge.
    I think I am getting some reasonable images. It takes a bit and it just needs a very fine adjustment =/- 1/2Ëš rotation

Attachments:
    Gib Curry
    Participant

Leo,

Thanks for the message. I haven’t had anywhere near as much time with the WE as I want. I did do some fidgeting with the camera and got some better views. I feel I can see what’s going on now.

I’ve been reading about technique and am getting a better feel for how the platen “rolls” around the belly of the blade.

This Buck is sharper than its ever been and I am looking forward to putting it back in the vice and cleaning up some of my technique.

Any suggestions, gotchas or things to look for would be most appreciated.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Leo Barr
    Participant

I can not give you very specific help with the WE as yet since I am waiting for mine. Currently I use and Edge Pro and a Tormek .
    I think the real answer is almost what you have been doing that is go slowly try and look at what is going on from all angles perhaps set it up in front of a mirror – this will increase your view point and I repeat go slow .
    Build the right habits even though it is a tool there are still many things to check.

Not slapping the stones onto the blade
    Minimal pressure
    Consistent speed and motion except for stopping to review the effects that are developing
    The sound will give you feedback
    Avoid excessive vibration
    And I think when learning it is best to take plenty of breaks probable every ten minutes ten on ten off this will allow you to see it with a fresh eye.
    Most of my mistakes have happened when wanting to complete something too quickly .
    This I will have to do when I get my WE even though I can work steadily all day at times on the EP.

PROGRESS IS SLOW BUT MISTAKES HAPPEN VERY QUICKLY WHEN SHARPENING

Gib Curry
    Participant

Go slow….

I learned this again the other evening.

And by that I mean I almost severely and profoundly and bloodily LEARNED it.

Fortunately, I’ve already gotten into a habit of laying a very soft strip of leather over the exposed blade whenever I come to a stop.

Not between changing platens but come to a stop.

So, after a nice dinner with some dear friends, they watching me do a demo. Suddenly, the dogs started romping, bumped the bench and a tightly closed bottle (no spill possible) of lubricant fell off the window sill and I automatically reached out to catch it.

My forearm was literally laying on the leather covering the blade. It’s the first time I have even come close to cutting myself since getting my WE. Sobering enough to re-remind me to move slow, with deliberate thought and intent.

And, no, I’m not sure we should start a “Worst Cut” thread!! :cheer:

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

Leo Barr
    Participant

Thats a mistake I had not put in the equation I was thinking more of how quickly a hollow in the edge profile or a scratch where it is not intended happens .

I like the idea that if you have to leave a knife mounted that some protection is put over it especially if there are animals or people especially little ones around .

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I like the idea that if you have to leave a knife mounted that some protection is put over it especially if there are animals or people especially little ones around .

I like to put a small catalog or magazine over the blade. In my case I use the Dillion reloading monthly catalog. There is always a few of them laying on the sharpening bench. The guys come over to BS and drink coffee. There is always a pretty girl on the cover and it is the first thing picked up on the bench. 😆 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.