Advanced Search

Bob Kramer Knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Bob Kramer Knife

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    keith
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 13

Does anybody have a Bob Kramer kitchen knife, something like a 10″? If so, is it  as good as all of its marketing? Does it really justify its cost?

Keith

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Keith, the Kramer by Zwilling Knives Series are made with four different steels: Damascus Stainless (SG2), High Carbon Steel 52100, the Meiji in Damascus Stainless Steel (FC61) and the collection I own, the Stainless Steel FC61 (Sandvik Knife Steel).  All of the various size and style knives making up these four collection are available in these four different steels.  The “Meiji” collection is unique compared with the other knives in the series in that it has a “Wa” type handle more similar to the traditional Japanese Chef’s knife handles.  The other three collections share a unique Kramer handle, more similar to traditional Western style handles. The quality, fit and finish of these knives are exactly what you’d expect from a Kramer named knife.  The price point is commensurate with other knives of similar quality.

I own several of the “Euoline” or Essential collection, (these are the  same knives branded under both these names), made in FC61 Stainless Steel, (HRc 61).  These knives as many of Kramer’s knife designs are unique in their design, shape and weight as compared with their traditional Japanese and Europran/French chef’s knives counterparts.  As different as they are, they are indeed functional, in their own right.  The blades are taller and more triagular shaped.  The handles are a bit large and thick, sort of short or stubby feeling and rounded with an almost hooked end to it.  The knives have a very different feel then other more classic knife counterparts of the same style.  It isn’t by any means bad or unwieldy just very different.  They are quite sharp and the steels seem durable.

I have the 10″ chef’s knife you ask about, an 8″ chef’s knife a 7″ Santoku knife and a 3-1/2″ Paring knife.  I only use these knives from time to time.  Everytime I reach for one I am taken by just how unigue they feel and the unsimilarity to my other more classically shaped chef’s knives.  Except, the small paring knife which is pretty similar to other knives of this style.  Due to the heft and height of the 10″ chef’s knife I find it to be my go-to knife when breaking hard solid vegetables like hole celery staiks.  It does quit well on these heavy tough fibrous foods.

I chose this series of Kramer knives, offered to me as a warranty replacement, for a different Zwilling series I purchased, when I experienced steel failures on that series.  I did not purchase these knives. These knives are quite nice.  I don’t believe they’d be my choice if I were choosing one knife to buy, own and use.  As another unique knife in my large collection of chef’s knives they do have their unique place.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.