Advanced Search

Blade repair or other work… what do you do?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Blade repair or other work… what do you do?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Just curious what others do if there’s damage or work needed (beyond sharpening) to their blade… fix a broken tip, remove major chips out of the edge, fix a reverse bow, reduce a bolster, etc. Do you use the Wicked Edge? Other equipement? Freehand? Send it back to the maker or to someone else? Live with it? Throw it away? Something else?

I personally have access to other equipement, like a belt sander, to do major repairs. Just wonder what others do, especially if the WE is the only thing you have available. What do you do? :unsure:

cbw

Martin Singer
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 22

Just curious what others do if there’s damage or work needed (beyond sharpening) to their blade… fix a broken tip, remove major chips out of the edge, fix a reverse bow, reduce a bolster, etc. Do you use the Wicked Edge? Other equipement? Freehand? Send it back to the maker or to someone else? Live with it? Throw it away? Something else?

I personally have access to other equipement, like a belt sander, to do major repairs. Just wonder what others do, especially if the WE is the only thing you have available. What do you do? :unsure:

cbw

I have a well stocked home workshop including a belt sander that makes sharpening and repairs easy. I tried ( unsuccessfully) to freehand sharpen. The waterstones and misc. are listed for sale or trade on this and the CKTG forums. The best tool for sharpening is my WE.

Steven Pinson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 49

Hey CB,

Part of my business here is to recondition knives so it can be a pretty wide range. I do wood handle repair, bolster repair, and chip removal. For broken tips I usually only repair up to 3mm on “Good” steel, and if it is bad steel I wave them off (it is a waste of time and cash). I can also braze brass, solder some pot metal, and weld some steel (MIG/TIG) then buffing of course.

Recently I have tackled a sword or two by hand sharpening with natural stone … miserabley long process.

Wayne Reimer
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 28

I have access to a lot of equipment in my home workshop, including several belt grinders of different sizes/confiurations. I just recently broke the tip off of my Emerson Gentleman Jim, and I restored it by hand on stones.
    I was taught to sharpen with stones by my Grandfather 50 years ago, and up till now that’s always been my preferred method. I’ve tried many systems and haven’t been impressed. I just ordered a WE portable to give it a try and I’m looking forward to giving it a try

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Cool. Great answers… like the diversity I’m seeing!

Who else?

cbw

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

If you’re still doubting, try the 50-80 diamond stones. These cut like mad..

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.