Advanced Search

Blade edge geometry of partially serrated blades..

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles Blade edge geometry of partially serrated blades..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

I’ve just spent an hour searching the ‘net and the WE website.

I was looking at the cutting edge of a friend’s partially serrated blade. It appeared to me that the regular edge was in the middle but that the serrated was not. It appeared to my bifocaled but otherwise un-aided eye to look like a single-bevel on the serrated half of the blade.

I’ve been trying to find some images or information.

So, wouldn’t the edge look like this:

|
    |
    |
    <-- At some point, the edge has to "slide" to the edge. (!?! Warning from the Department of Redundancy Department) ) ) ) Sorry about the simple diagram. Does it explain my mental block? The other option is that the normal edge isn't centered. I don't want to overthink things but I must try to understand! Thank, in advance, for any direction or insight you have to pass along. It is much appreciated...

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I don’t know if I understand you correctly, but if you mean that the serrated part of the knife looks as if it has been sharpened on one side only, that’s probably the case 🙂 . It has probably nothing to do with the knife being partially serrated.

I took a look at my (partially) serrated knives (bread knives, pocket knives) and they are all sharpened on one side only.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I was looking at the cutting edge of a friend’s partially serrated blade. It appeared to me that the regular edge was in the middle but that the serrated was not. It appeared to my bifocaled but otherwise un-aided eye to look like a single-bevel on the serrated half of the blade.

So, wouldn’t the edge look like this:

|
    |
    |
    <– At some point, the edge has to "slide" to the edge. (!?! Warning from the Department of Redundancy Department)
    )
    )
    )

Sorry about the simple diagram. Does it explain my mental block?

This first option is correct… if you lay the blade with the back of the serrations on something flat (in this case a WE blank), you can see the plain edge portion is offset (centered)…

… but there's no real "sliding over" of the edge, the transition occurs where the plain edge starts, simply because there's now a bevel being cut on the edge…

… so now the plain edge part is centered. 🙂 (I think you're thinking about it backwards… that somehow the serrated part is "pushed over".)

Hope that helps.

Attachments:
    Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Any more replies would be most welcome — it’s obvious I need all the help I can get!

Thanks for the replies — I’m got a better feel/understanding.

I had been sketching trying to figure it out — not a draftsman. And my microscope wasn’t giving me the view I wanted/needed.

Mark76, it wasn’t making sense to me so I’m not surprised I couldn’t make myself clear to you!!

I’m still getting used to all the terms and know I don’t always use them correctly — that doesn’t help, either!

I think I was thinking of the cutting edge. On the portion of the blade that is sharpened normally on both sides, the cutting edge is somewhere approximating the center of the blade.

The serrated portion of the blade, the “cutting edge”, as mentioned, is now on the edge of the blade. The transition, as I now understand it occurs where the plain edge meets the serration.

The nature of the serrations takes care of the transition.

I think!

Thanks for the photos. That really helped.

Thanks, all. I do appreciate your time and expertise…..

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.