Advanced Search

Bitten by the Bug!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Bitten by the Bug!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chazz
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Newbie here. Just started out recently with a Chef’s Choice 1520 electric sharpener. I’ve been using it to sharpen a bunch of Wusthof kitchen knives, Leatherman blade, and a Swiss Army knife. I have to admit that the system did, in fact, improve the sharpness of the blades but I want to do much better. Maybe, reserving the electric for re-profiling bad conditioned blades.
    Thanks to YouTube I’ve been researching nearly every sharpening system out there. I finally settled on the WE130 as my choice. As I sit home in central FL, waiting for Dorian to do its thing, I’ve reviewed many YouTube videos on the WE. I’m expecting to order a system pretty soon, and would like to ask for guidance on how to configure my order with what I need. I will, also, want to work on some kitchen and household scissors.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Chazz.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome Chazz,  I’m west of you on the gulf side of Tampa Bay.  Sitting here sharpening a friends fish fileting knife on my WE130.

I suggest the Pro Pack III.  It’s the WE130 with everything you’ll need to get started and do top notch jobs.  There’s more then that which is included, you may want later, but that’s a great introductory setup.  I’ll private message you.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Chazz
    Participant

Welcome Chazz, I’m west of you on the gulf side of Tampa Bay. Sitting here sharpening a friends fish fileting knife on my WE130. I suggest the Pro Pack III. It’s the WE130 with everything you’ll need to get started and do top notch jobs. There’s more then that which is included, you may want later, but that’s a great introductory setup. I’ll private message you.

Thanks for the suggestion, and the PM you sent me. As far as the Pro Pack III goes, I don’t want to spend that much, at this point. If I do get into this big time, I might add to my initial setup. That, and the fact that my wife would kill me, constrains my initial investment. Also, the Pro Pak doesn’t come with the scissors attachment, which I would like.

Stay safe!

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Hey Chazz and welcome to the group.  The scissor attachment works pretty darn good, well worth the investment.

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

Welcome to the slippery slope Chazz. I have the WE130 and love it. I had the same constraint as you when I bought my setup, but I purchased the low angle adapter (filet knives and folding knives) the 800/1000 and 1500/glass sets as well. At the time the 1500/2200 and 3000/glass were not available but would have been my choice. The 800/1000 and low angle adapter would be the very least I’d add to the WE 130. I would also contact @airscapes for a set of (name escapes right now) everything he made , the bumper/caps at the very least. @NotSharpEnuff makes the other doodad that is worth the investment it makes rod adjustment an easy job. An angle cube is also a must have for great job https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FB5UEAE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry I can’t be more specific right now, today it’s been a long week!

Enjoy your new hobby and stay safe.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Chazz
    Participant

Thanks for all the input and advice! I decided, and have ordered, a Spyderco Sharpmaker with a couple of accessory rods. I, finally, came to the conclusion that the Spyderco, along with my Chef’s Choice machine, should make a pretty good combo that meets my current needs, at a fraction of the cost of the WE. I didn’t rule out a WE, or another system, at some time in the future.

Michael Blakley
    Participant
    • Topics: 29
    • Replies: 28

One thing I’ve learned is that getting the angle right, every time, is an absolute necessity.  I highly recommend you buy the Angle Cube as part of your system.  You use it to help you position the angle of the stones to say 20.00 degrees for a chef’s knife, or 15.00 for a high end Japanese kitchen knife for fish.   Maybe there are new ways to get that angle correct, but I’m sold on the angle cube.

Welcome to the obsession.

Michael

Chazz
    Participant

Well, I went and did it! Bought a WE130 and some accessories. Picked up a set of junk knives from Walmart to break in my stones with, and to practice on. Just finished my first sharpening attempt. Did pretty well, I think, for a newbie. I tested the edge on the Sharp edge tester and got a 335 result, before sharpening. Pretty good, I think, for a $2 knife. After I ran it through the stone progression I got a 285, which I am pretty happy with. By the end of the progression I was getting confident enough to use the stones without the safety shields that I started out with. Happily, I didn’t harm myself.

One mistake that I am disappointed with is my stropping. I forgot to move the angle inward (more acute), when I stropped the blade. I knew that I had to do this, but just forgot. I presume that I would have gotten an even finer edge if I had done this properly.

One question I have is about the burr. I had no problem finding the angle and drawing burrs on the initial stone. However, I didn’t attempt to find burrs on subsequent progressions. Should I have raised burrs on each stage in the progression and would that have led to a finer edge?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I don’t intentional try to raise a burr after the first coarsest grit when I do, as the starting point to be sure I’ve apexed the bevel.

I do however, draw a burr, with each and every subsequent grit just by the nature of my technique.  Using each stone long enough and well enough to create the evenly aligned scratch patterns I’m looking for, before I move on to the next finer grit, does result in a burr formation.  It simply insures I’m working my edges properly and apexing the bevel with each and every grit.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Chazz
    Participant

I just discovered a bit of irony, here. I just got back from urgent care for treatment of what I thought was a boil. Turns out I was actually bitten by a bug. Can’t escape the macabre humor in the title of this message thread: “bitten by the bug!” LOL! Ouch!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.