Advanced Search

Bevel Angle Problems

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Bevel Angle Problems

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Reid
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

hi guys , I’ve been reading a lot on this system I just got (Pro Pack 3).  I’ve been working on several knives and things are def getting better.  I’m getting knives very sharp (Some sharper than others).  My question tonight pertains to bevel angle.  I’ve read several forum topics on this but I’m having trouble nailing down my answer/solution.

I recently sent a few knives off to Josh at REK before I got my WE.  Just tonight I decided to try sharpening one of those knives that Josh did for me.  Up until now I’ve only done older, cheaper knives to learn on.  So the knife I’m working on is a Manix 2 LW.  I tried every setup I could; including the low angle adapter to get to the same angle bevel Josh had it at.  The problem was that when I got the angle close to where I needed to be the stones were rubbing on the jaws.  So, after a few more YouTube videos I ended up putting some masking tape towards the front of the blade to fit better in the LAA.  So I was finally able to get the right side where I was happy with it.  Then when I moved to the right side and I set the angle the same as the right its nowhere close where I need to be.  Then when I try to adjust that side to the existing bevel I have the same problem with rubbing on the jaws!

I know this is all just inexperience shining through and I apologize if the explanation I’m looking for lies somewhere in this forum, I just didn’t have much luck looking for it.

Thanks

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum Reid,  Using the Wicked Edge Systems isn’t too difficult, but it is not easy, either.  Half the battle is clamping a knife for the first time.  There are so many different kinds, styles, sizes and shaped knives that it can be a real challenge at times to clamp some of these knives.  It will become easier and more intuitive once you gain some sharpening experience.  Even for the most seasoned, experienced sharpener, there are always new knives we’ve never seen or had sharpening experience with, that can be very trying to get them clamped in a workable sharpening position.  So realize your not alone.

Adapters are sometimes absolutely necessary to be able to sharpen some knives.  The Low Angle Adapter, (LAA), is one choice.  This Tormek Small knife Adapter is another helpful device many of us use.  Sometimes both are used in conjunction.

Some creative and innovative Wicked Edge users make their own custom modifications like this one.

I have several different model Wicked Edge Systems.  One of these I have a riser block to elevate the vice by increasing the space between it and the base mount.  This allows me to set lower sharpening angles without my stones contacting the jaws.  I’m sure Josh has his own modifications and adapters he uses, along with many years of sharpening experience on a tremendous variety of knives.

There are many work-arounds, most come with experience and creativity.  One thing I’ll point out to you is that you don’t have to clamp your knife so it is resting down on or against the depth key pins.  Sometimes I clamp a knife just barely by the spine.  All that matters is to have a secure grasp of the steel so it stays immovable while sharpening.

No apologies are needed for asking questions.  Keep doing what your doing and read, read, read through the Forum.  There are years worth of experience to glean from old posts.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Reid
    Participant

Thanks Marc that makes sense. I have definitely learned that clamping each knife is the most challenging part. But it makes sense that everyone has used certain workarounds for different knives. I guess I just need to play with it.  Maybe I’ll order that tormek jig and play with that.  I’m sure it’ll get used at some point.  Does it also happen often that one angle degree on one side doesn’t work on the other side?  Like not even close?

Marc H

Reid, maybe the knife isn’t ground symmetrically from the maker.  It may not have been made the same from side to side.   Or possibly you didn’t apply the tape evenly from side to side to allow for it to clamp symmetrically.  It’s hard to say.

Sometimes you can swap the knife around and clamp it tip towards you for a better clamping outcome.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Reid
    Participant

I understand what you’re saying. I’ll keep playing with it.   Thanks again!

Marc H

Sometimes you have to clamp the knife offset to the front or tip, or offset towards the heel or handle and sharpen it in stages.  Do only the part you can access then move the knife and do the other part later.  Then blend the two portions together at the end.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Reid
    Participant

Well that sounds like a pain in the ass!! Lol

Marc H

“when we’re given lemons… make lemonade”.  Not all work-arounds are easy.  It’s not really as big a pain as you think.  The portions blend nicely when you have you’re technique down.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Reid
    Participant

10-4!  I’ll figure it out.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

You might also message Josh and see if he has any pointers. He’s a busy man, but I have seen him be very generous in sharing details on his sharpening jobs. I would be pretty surprised if he didn’t put symmetrical bevels on a blade unless you specifically asked for it to be that way.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Reid
    Participant

Yeah I know he’s busy that’s why I hesitated to ask him. I’m sure everything is symmetrical, I’m just having trouble duplicating it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.