Advanced Search

Best stone to start with after a KME edge?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Best stone to start with after a KME edge?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Well, I resigned myself to feeling those vertical scratches had to be as a result of me not spending enough time with the 800 grit (but I did check after each grit with a loupe the first time) . . .  So I went back today and started with the 800 grit again paying more attention to the rear of the blade.  After and during each grit I inspected until there were no more scratches.  Got by the 6mu Nanolap DLF and still clear.  Used the 3mu and 1 mu and checked again before stroping and lo and behold there they were again.  Vertical scratches same as the earlier pic I posted.  So I went back to the 800 grit again and progressed through to the 1 mu.  But this time after the 6mu I only used sideways scrubbing and light pressure.  My findings is each time I started using the normal up and away stroke it started leaving scratches again very closely spaced as pic above.

So far, without using any vertical motions with the DLF and finishing with the Roo strops with ..50 and .25 diamond spray I could go back to the normal up and away motion.

This leads me to think I might be better off buying 2 sets of ceramics 1200/1600 and .6/1.4 which I orignally bought, but returned in favor of the DLF.

I did do two other knifes and freshened up 5 others and it was a battle having to drop back and keep going over areas of light scratches.  One last thing I’m going to do is replace the DLF (they are only 20 knives old) to rule out that the 3mu and the 1mu are somehow contaminated.

This redo of my CRK folder turned out to be the clearest edge I’ve ever done!  As seen through a 10x lighted loupe.

What is the consensus of me just skipping the DLF all together and buying the ceramics instead?  Not cheap.  Another almost $214 investment !

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Expidia.
    Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Do you feel it’s the DLF leaving scratches, if I follow your writing, you said the DLF only left scratches in the vertical, up down direction but didn’t you write that used the film in the horizontal or sideway direction, as Clay did? If that’s the case why do you think your getting vertical scratches?

Remember, the break-in period on the ceramics is lengthy before you will see the fruits of your labor.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

The scratches only appear when I go with vertical strokes or the strokes I would make with normal motion with the WE.  Could also be clumping diamonds clusters on the 3mu or the 1 mu.  I have two 8 x 10 sheets each.  I’m going to cut two new strips off the sheets for those grits.  The scratches appear when I use the whole length of the strip so that could indicate a bad strip.  When I scrub side to side Im able to get a clear edge because Im only using an inch or so of the DFL.  But this will only serve to wear the strip in one area or if I flip stone over during process, two areas.

I have a 10x lighted loupe and a 30x lighted loupe.  I had that 200x wireless $100 microscope but returned it as I thought it was nice device, but overkill for my needs.  USB’s are great for some members here that want to show examples of edges to others especially as a teaching tool.  I also felt it was a chinese knock off of a Dino-lite and would not last that long.   Dino-lites are pricey, but their wireless adapter is as much or more than the microscope itself.  I don’t own any laptops anymore to be able to use a cheap USB scope. I thought about getting a $100-150 name brand pc laptop refurb on Amazon.  But I’d definitely go that route if I was doing this as a business.

For most of my kitchen knives I’d be fine with stopping at 1000 or 1500/6mu.  On the ceramics, I returned them after reading here how long they take to break in, the expense and the amount of strokes needed.  The DLF’s seemed to be a better choice for my needs.  I just need to isolate if its my technique when using either of those DLF grits.  I’ll isolate which grit on my next session.

Watch out newbies when scrubbing horizontally with a small knife. Very easy to slip off the tip and stab your thumb on the auto motion back stroke (don’t ask me how I know this, but a stab is at least better than a slice from my experience).  I figured why use my gloves (or the plastic shields)  it was such a small knife, oops.

I have more family kitchens knives to work on to and isolate the issue.  I never expected DFL’s to be more abrasive than the 1500 stone as to leaving scratch marks.  I only use the stone’s weight and lighter.  Seemed to me that the DLF’s were doing more polishing than cutting.   I’ll zero in on my issue if thats what it is.  Just thought I’d ask if anyone has seen this.  I’m sure it will turn out that Im doing something wrong.

Is there a breakin in period on DLF’s?  I’ve been using them as long as the diamond stones.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The diamond films should be good to go straight off of the sheet and don’t have a break in period from what I understand. Twenty knives is quite a few for one set of films so replacing them might solve the issue, but it is strange that you don’t see any problems once you change stroke direction. I’m not quite sure how to explain that.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Ya, Ill take my time on the next knife trying to pin point whats going wrong.  Its either me or the films as of right now.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.