Advanced Search

Best progression for cutting tomatoes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I wonder if anybody can post their favorite progression for sharpening a knife that should cut tomatoes.

I just sharpened a carbon knife (white #2 steel) up to the 10K Choseras and then stropped it with diamond sprays up to 0.25 micron. The knife is wickedly sharp and cuts everything very well… except for tomatoes. Well, it cuts tomatoes quite well, but not as good as I’d like it to do.

Ideally, I’d like my knife as sharp as in the first video here[/url]. (Yes, I’ve asked the maker already 😉 .)

How would you sharpen a knife that should cut nearly push-cut tomatoes like that?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Steven Pinson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 49

15k shaptons, you need a little tooth.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

What results are you getting now? Reason I ask is because, unless I’m missing something in the video, I don’t see any push cutting,,,all the cuts look like they’re a slice.

Mark76
    Participant

Correct, it’s not push cutting in the video. But I need to add more pressure and slice more fiercely. I can only cut a tomato if I hold it by hand. I am unable to cut it by just putting it on a board.

cbwx34
    Participant

Cool. You said “nearly push cut” earlier,,, so it threw me.

Have you considered that your knife is sharp enough, but that it’s more of a technique thing? There’s also other variables… tomato type, board, etc. From what I’ve read, I think you know “sharp”, so I’m just wondering if it’s something else?

Mark76
    Participant

Yes, wrote *nearly* push cut 😛 . That’s what it looks like to me. And that’s what I’m aiming for.

Obviously, the first reaction would be that my knife is not sharp enough. But it is very sharp: I can easily shave my face with it. But it doesn’t cut tomato skin without some force.

My first guess was that the knife needs to be slightly toothy. I wondered whether other people think the same or could there be another cause? (Thanks, Steven!) And if it needs some tooth, how much, i.e. what grit is the optimum?

cbwx34
    Participant

Well to me it’s a slice.

My .02, I don’t think there’s an optimum, just something to break the skin. I’ve gone from a coarse SiC stone to 12K waterstones. I’d eliminate the stropping, and go from there.

Now, if you want to see a push cut (no it’s not me)…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZszGC92iYr0

🙂

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks, Steven. I got exactly the same advice from someone else as well. Is this your own experience or some sort of “common knowledge”?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Now, if you want to see a push cut (no it’s not me)…

Oh snap! Now that’s an edge (and a skill set) I’m lusting after!

Tomatoes are my bane as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant

Oh snap! Now that’s an edge (and a skill set) I’m lusting after!

Tomatoes are my bane as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ken

That guy does have some of the best cutting videos I’ve seen.

Thanks, Steven. I got exactly the same advice from someone else as well. Is this your own experience or some sort of “common knowledge”?[/quote]

I won’t dwell on it, but I think it’s specious reasoning to tie results to one particular stone.

Mathew Whaley
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 22

I was actually going to link Salty’s channel but you beat me to it 😛

I will post another video though.

All his knives are stropped, you can see his progression in a few videos of his.

I polished my CCK cleaver to 0.05 microns and it will cut practically invisible tomato slices without needing to hold the tomato. You really dont need a toothy edge.

Steven Pinson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 49

[/quote]

Thanks, Steven. I got exactly the same advice from someone else as well. Is this your own experience or some sort of “common knowledge”?[/quote]

I won’t dwell on it, but I think it’s specious reasoning to tie results to one particular stone.[/quote]

Dwell all you want and you would be wrong again. I don’t care if you (or anyone) buy my stuff for sale or not, I have happy customers. Proof is in the pudding (as is shown by other’s advice).

cbwx34
    Participant

Dwell all you want and you would be wrong again. I don’t care if you (or anyone) buy my stuff for sale or not, I have happy customers. Proof is in the pudding (as is shown by other’s advice).

This doesn’t even make sense… What does this have to do with your sales?

I don’t think you understood what I said.

Mark76
    Participant

I also like this:

But I still prefer this:

I’ll try out a number of edges and let you know the results.

Incidentally, is there anyone here who is into kitchen knives? Which steel takes the best edge in your experience?

I’ve got this Tojiro petty made of white #2 steel. It takes the best edge I’ve ever produced. This CCK cleaver[/url] made of unspecified carbon steel also takes a great edge, but white #2 is better.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Incidentally, is there anyone here who is into kitchen knives? Which steel takes the best edge in your experience?

I get great edges on my VG10 Spyderco Yin & Yang but I really like the edge I’ve been able to get on my Roselli Asttrid. Holds it pretty well too.

Ken

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.