Advanced Search

Bent vice jaws

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian Schooley
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

So has anyone else had this issue before? I’ve been using this system for 3 yrs. Is there anyway to fix this problem? Are there steel jaws available? I had considered having some machines out of tool steel, but the cost would be about the same as a gen 3 vice. The problem is the the gap tends to set knives at an angle in the vice. Usually a degree or 2 when it happens. I’ve had to start using electrical tape or chamois strips to correct it.

Attachments:
    Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Marc … Brian’s problem (from what I see in his picture) is a bent vise jaw tips, as stated in the title.  This has happened to a handful (that I know of) of vises (including one of my own).

Brian … email or call WE and show them the pic.  They should be able to help you out.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Let me add another thing on the subject.  After experiencing bent vise jaw tips many years ago on my original WE, I try to never over-tighten the vise. I only snug the top screw and then tighten the bottom one to a point where the gap between each half of the vise jaws is close to being even, top to bottom.  As long as the knife does change positions while in the vise … good to go.  In my mind, with the vise jaws being made of aluminum, it is quite possible to bend the tips by grossly over-tightening that bottom screw, as all the pressure is directed to the tips.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Brian Schooley
    Participant

Well i always try to just tighten just enough that the blade doesn’t move.  But ive used it to sharpen knives as a side business for the past 3 or 4 years.

so i didnt know if it was a wear and tear issue or what.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The aircraft-grade aluminum that WE uses is some really tuff stuff.  Try to drill a hole in it and it seems almost as tuff as steel.

All materials that are subjected to repeated stress have a predictable life, but normally that’s measured in tens or hundreds of thousands of cycles.

The problem with the bent vise issue is probably tied to clamping blade rather high in the jaws and then applying too much force through the jack (lower) screw.  It’s also a possibility that the vise was not adjusted to place the right side jaw parallel to the blade surface.

If the right hand jaw is contacting the blade only near the top, the stresses produced by the jack screw will tend to bend the jaw with the upper screw being the fulcrum.

If the face of the right-hand jaw is flat against the right side face of the blade, the clamping forces are more evenly distributed.

I always (when I’m using my Gen 1 vise) check for proper adjustment of the top screw before tightening the jack screw.  When I tighten the jack screw, I go 1/4 turn past the point where it makes firm contact with the opposite jaw.  If the knife moves when I lift on the handle, I’ll reset the position and use 1/2 turn.  I should be able to lift the entire rig with the knife’s handle and I’ve never needed more than the 1/2 turn.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Brian Schooley
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. On my next set I will have to be extra careful I guess.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.