Advanced Search

Benchmade “Bone Collector” in D2

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Benchmade Benchmade “Bone Collector” in D2

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Interesting pictures, Curtis. Where did you get them from? I also wonder whether these pics really make sense. As far as I know the carbide size in “conventional” steels varies widely.

I don’t recall… probably from the CPM website. I would guess that the “conventional steel” is one they make a CPM version of, so probably not indicative of all steels.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I guess we misunderstand eachother. I was trying to say that the carbide size in “conventional” steels may vary widely from steel type to steel type.

Ah, I understand. Yes, I was assuming the shot was CPM D2 versus non CPM D2, which would make sense. But your point is right, it’s not linear between different steels.

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant

Sorry about the confusion on the picture.

Had a chance to repeat the “testing” I did the other day that caused me some issues, and so far so good. No wire edge, and no evidence of chipping, etc. So maybe now I’ve got a good edge to work with.

cbwx34
    Participant

After grinding down the back, I’ve used this for EDC tasks, and a little extra… nothing big, cut some cardboard, open mail, did a few rope cuts, etc. Under a 60X microscope, I can see some teeeny tiny — what looks like chips in the edge. Not big enough to notice in cutting… it will still cleanly slice paper, etc. but they’re there. So maybe that’s the “carbides coming out” but it doesn’t really effect performance?

Anyway, seems to be holding up well, I’m not seeing any issues that would make me consider going to a higher angle.

So far, so good! 🙂

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Excellent! Very good to hear. Keep us posted, Curtis.

Ken

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Yes, thanks Curtis. This has become a good thread with lots of good information. For all the talk about sharpening there is little real world follow up on how a particular sharpening setup works. 😆

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Yes, thanks Curtis. This has become a good thread with lots of good information. For all the talk about sharpening there is little real world follow up on how a particular sharpening setup works. 😆

Nice point. I am hoping that as the knife database grows, more discussion of ongoing results will follow. I hope too that people will make use of adding a forum posting about particular knives and link their database entry to the post so ongoing conversations will occur.

-Clay

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.