Advanced Search

Benchmade 9010 auto

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anthony
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Hi
    so I just received my Pro pak 2 and was wondering if anyone had sharpened a benchmade 9101 tanto? its my EDC here in Afghanistan at the moment(Im deployed right now)anyway I was wondering if anyone had tried this knife and if so what set up worked for you? I have used the stones and strop, its razor sharp but im trying to get it HW sharp? any tips for me???

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

you should be able to get hair whittling straight off of the 1k and a strop… I can get tree topping (plinks hairs off above the surface of my arm) straight off of the 1k stones w/ no strop.

make sure your stones are broken in as well… this will help! (8-10 knives)

all ur buddies will love you once they find out you can sharpen knives! =) hope you stay safe over there bro…

Anthony
    Participant

I think that my stones are broken in if not then pretty close to it. i think it may just be that i havent gotten my tech down perfect yet

and yeah they are all hitting me up now i used to do it by hand and could get a tree toppin from that but i want HW im thinking about charging them now lol

Josh
    Participant

I think that my stones are broken in if not then pretty close to it. i think it may just be that i havent gotten my tech down perfect yet

and yeah they are all hitting me up now i used to do it by hand and could get a tree toppin from that but i want HW im thinking about charging them now lol

lol. yeah man I would charge them! otherwise you will get covered up in orders =)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

If your buddies are the ones who have your six, I wouldn’t charge ’em much.

Josh
    Participant

If your buddies are the ones who have your six, I wouldn’t charge ’em much.

good point tom… but I would still charge a little, otherwise that’s all he will be doing (unless he just says “no” lol). but you are right!

Anthony
    Participant

I offer the first time for free but we are infantry and it sad to say but they do not care for their blades as well as I would like them too lol so I gotta charge them so they treat their poor knives better and with a little more respect.

Anthony
    Participant

I was thinking of trying a convex edge on some of the larger combat knifes but idk much about it or if it’s worth while, I have the fixed blade ADAMAS from benchmade (love the thing!) and thought about testing it there

Mikedoh
    • Replies: 568

My 2¢ mirror edges are for show, 1000grit is a great edge.
    Personally, wouldn’t worry about convexing.

600 grit may well be fine for their/your needs. Above that may be over kill/ bragging rights.

Bragging rights and mirror edges take more time, cost more money.

Anthony
    Participant

oh i can see that the 1k grit is an awesome edge for what i do it is perfect but i do have some collectors that i want to show off, and honestly when we bought this system we all knew it would cost money lol

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Instead you can also try to put a double-bevel edge on the knife. Much easier than a convex edge and nearly the same effect.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Anthony
    Participant

i went with a 17 angle and its working well what would be a good double for it??

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

I have to agree with Mike. 1000 grit is a great edge. The “toothy” edge produced by 600 & 1000 (think in terms of a micro-micro-serrated edge) seems to be much more practical than the mirror edges, unless they are a much more acute angle. For working knives, I do up to 1000, then I use film-on-glass at 5 and 3 microns to polish the high spots off. The tooth bites into the substrate and the polish lets it slide through more easily. I only do mirror edges on blades which will be displayed more than used.

I learned about “tooth” the day I took my newly WE sharpened, mirror-edged Buck folder out in the shop and couldn’t even start to cut through a nylon tow strap. It just glided right over the nylon like it had been greased. You can reduce the effect quite a bit by cutting a “back bevel” to narrow the shoulders of the main bevel. This is the “double bevel” they’re talking about. I you went 17 on the main, a good back bevel might be 12 or 13.

Hey Tdog…I think there’s a bunch of vets here on the forum, young and old. OK, so I’m old. What’s the general take among your group on the Bergdahl thing? Sure is getting stinky back here.

Anthony
    Participant

Overall I’d say pissed. We are glad that the motto never left behind has been done but now it is his turn to be punished. I have friends who where in the same place with him when he deserted and they are unforgiving for his acts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.