Advanced Search

Axe with curved 400 600 stones

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Just wondering what your thoughts one using the 400 600 grit curved stones on an axe are?  So you think they could work well with axes?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The curved stones are for concave edges.  More of an issue is you’d need to use a Wicked Edge model that uses the standard vise.  Then using longer screws you may be able to clamp an axe head for sharpening.  The W.E. models with the Gen 3 vise would not open wide enough to clamp and sharpen an axe head unless it’s only less than 1/4″ thick.  Even then you’d need the extra wide accessory jaws for the gen 3 setup.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Marc H.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Marc’s right about the convex stones being intended for concave edges.  When used on an edge with a belly, the amount of stone making contact with the actual blade is approaching point contact.  While it will work, it will take a long time to remove an appreciable amount of steel.

With the standard 3/4″ wide stones, the amount of abrasives contacting the edge during a given stroke will be the same , but it does so for every point along the 3/4″ wide face of the stones.

Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Thanks guys. That is what I was wondering. So with the axe just as long as I can clamp it with my 1/4 adapter go ahead and use the regular stones to,put the edge on.  This is a really nice axe with deer antler handle so I want to make sure it looks really good for him.  He is in his 70’s and it was his dad’s axe.  So very old.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.