Advanced Search

Attn: zig — structured abrasive belts

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Attn: zig — structured abrasive belts

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Looking for rough work without deep scratches.

The A100s are great, but wear fast.

You were looking for a fast cutting but smooth structured abrasive belt. Have you looked at the Norton NORaX U936 Seeded Gel ceramic belt in X200 grade? This may be just what you are looking for. It appears that the belt surface is quite smooth, not “Gator” type.

I hope this helps.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks for posting this! I have tried these as well and they work great for sharpening! The problem I ran into with them, over time, is that the corners seem to break down faster, and after you get above 220 grit they seem to have a lot of side to side wobble (at least, in the 2×72 belts). But they did work good and lasted a long time! One tip I have found is that, when your belt stops cutting very well, take a diamond dressing stone and run it across the surface while the belt is going. This will fracture the structure and create a fresh grinding surface to eat the metal away.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Thanks MW,

Yep, fast cutting without leaving deep gouges.
    Don’t know if I’ve tried these, will look in the big box of belts 🙂

Been using the Norton SG R980P Blaze Plus in 120 for the rough work now ….. a bit scratchy at first as profile is a bit bumpy, but better than other things in 120, but once broken in, the best I’ve tried for pre Trizact A100. Extends the A100’s life.

After break in, it seems to run smooth to shear off the edge when they are shot and chipped, and put the primary bevel on.

I think it’s similar to the one you show.

The Trizact pattern in the A series is very tight, taking off metal fast with uniform grit sizing and placement, leaving minimal scratch, and few irregular deep ones.

Josh, the Blaze Plus series uses Y-weight polyester backing,in 1″ it works well on the belt edge … pretty stiff. Medium pressure.
    For heavier pressure, look into R940 extra-heavy H-weight polyester backing belts .. they are supposed to be beefy.

What diamond dressing stone are you using?
    Been bringing life back to my belts with ………. brass and stainless brushes.

Hey, it works pretty well, those cheapos you find in the big boxes laying around in the big box stores 😉

Thank you all as always,
    zig

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.