Advanced Search

Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Angle of the edge with Pro Pack II upgrade!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Jim Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 26

Hello everyone,

I was curious as to what others have found when upgrading their Pro Pack I with the Pro Pack II upgrade (New arms, Riser Block, Micro Adjustment Screws & Angle Cube). When I added the riser block and the new arms, my angle cube reads about 5 degrees less than what is indicated on the arm bars. I’m sure this has to do with the riser block.

Should I completely disregard the angles on the arm bar and stictly use the angle cube from this point forward?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jim

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Jim,

Thanks for bringing it up – the riser does lower the angle so it is best to just use the angle cube until you get used to the settings.

Hello everyone,

I was curious as to what others have found when upgrading their Pro Pack I with the Pro Pack II upgrade (New arms, Riser Block, Micro Adjustment Screws & Angle Cube). When I added the riser block and the new arms, my angle cube reads about 5 degrees less than what is indicated on the arm bars. I’m sure this has to do with the riser block.

Should I completely disregard the angles on the arm bar and stictly use the angle cube from this point forward?

Jim

-Clay

Jim Mitchell
    Participant

Sounds good Clay. Thank you!

Jim,

Thanks for bringing it up – the riser does lower the angle so it is best to just use the angle cube until you get used to the settings.

Hello everyone,

Jim

[/quote]

wickededge
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Jim. How are you enjoying the upgrade kit so far?

-Clay

Jim Mitchell
    Participant

Clay,

I just received the upgrade kit a couple of days ago and I absolutely love it. It was very easy to set up and add to my existing WEPS.

I am most impressed with the fact that there is no play at all in the new ball joints and that the arms move back and forth so smoothly. The difference between the new arms and the old arms is amazing. It’s also great to have the capability of making those micro adjustments to find the exact angle you’re looking for on both sides of the edge. Like you said, I will be relying on the angle cube as opposed to what I am used to on the arm bar. I’m sure I’ll find some consistency (difference in degrees) between the angle cube and the arm bar after several more sharpening’s. I’ve only sharpened a couple of knives so far with the upgrade kit and I look forward to many more!

Like I said, I am very impressed with the upgrade kit and highly recommend it to everybody out there who is looking to upgrade their WEPS.

Nice work Clay and thank you for a great product.

Jim

You’re welcome Jim. How are you enjoying the upgrade kit so far?

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

My budget absolutely hates all this awesome stuff for the WEPS. I really like the ball joint arms, from a mechanical standpoint if nothing else. I think I have two whole upgrade pack orders in mind now, time to start saving…

Jim Mitchell
    Participant

Clay,

What is the highest angle, for each side, your able to obtain with the riser block installed? If I use the indents on the arm bar, the highest angel I can get is approximately 21.90 degrees. If I go all the way to the end of the arm bar, where there are no indents, the hightest angle I can get is approximately 25 degrees. I would like to be able to obtain the same angles that I used to be able to obtain without the riser block. Is that possible? Do you think we may need to use a longer arm bar?

Thanks,
    Jim

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’ll double check it tomorrow, but I think I can get much wider than what you’re reporting. How wide of a knife are you using?

Clay,

What is the highest angle, for each side, your able to obtain with the riser block installed? If I use the indents on the arm bar, the highest angel I can get is approximately 21.90 degrees. If I go all the way to the end of the arm bar, where there are no indents, the hightest angle I can get is approximately 25 degrees. I would like to be able to obtain the same angles that I used to be able to obtain without the riser block. Is that possible? Do you think we may need to use a longer arm bar?

Thanks,
    Jim

-Clay

Jim Mitchell
    Participant

I was sharpening my Strider SNG and put a 22 degree angle on each side of the edge. Then, since I already had the knife clamped down in the vice, I used the Strider to test how wide of an angle I could get with the new kit. I was able to make the angle a little wider by using the lower depth key holes in the vice jaws. I got 25.70 degrees on the angle cube at the widest point (where there are no indentations in the arm bar).

That would be great if you could check your set up for me. I’m interested in hearing how wide you can get your angle at the widest point on each side.

Thanks again Clay.

Jim

I’ll double check it tomorrow, but I think I can get much wider than what you’re reporting. How wide of a knife are you using?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Jim,
    I tested my own machine and got the following results:

This is a small blade extending .5″ above the top of the clamp on the 30 degree setting:

This is my ZT 0560 in the bottom hole position set at 30 degrees:

This is the same ZT 0560 in the bottom hole position with the collar out to the end of the rod:

I’m wondering if your Angle Cube needs to be re-calibrated. I’m trying to find instructions for how to do it, I know I’ve seen them somewhere before. I’ll post as soon as I find them.

-Clay

Jim Mitchell
    Participant

Clay,

Thank you checking your set up and sending the photos. I re-calibrated my angle cube following the step by step directions that came with it in the box. The re-calibration worked great; however, my readings on the angle cube are still off by quite a bit.

Here is a photo of my Kershaw Needs Work using the lower set of alignment holes at a setting of 30 degrees.

[attachment:1]DSC_0005-001.JPG[/attachment]

Here is a photo of my Kershaw Needs Work using the lower set of alignment holes with the collar moved out to the end of the bar.

[attachment:2]DSC_0003-001.JPG[/attachment]

I’m confused as to why the reading on my angle cube are so far off from the readings you’re obtaining on your angle cube. Maybe you can tell, by looking at my photos, if I’m doing something wrong.

Thank you for all of your assistance in resolving this issue.

Jim

Jim Mitchell
    Participant

Clay,

I couldn’t get the photos to load in the post so I have attached a link that will hopefully work. The 23.70 degree angle is at a setting of 30 degrees on the bar. The 26.65 degree angle is with the collar all the way out to the end of the bar.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105745338258426174805/WEPSAngleCube?authkey=Gv1sRgCK2Lg8rG88K9FQ#

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Clay seems to be using a different angle bracket, allows a greater distance out?

Jim Mitchell
    Participant

Clay seems to be using a different angle bracket, allows a greater distance out?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n34/chrisbillabong/Bracket.jpg%5B/quote%5D

Thank you Billabong! Those pictures show a noticeable difference in the brackets and that is most likely where the shortage is coming from. Thanks again for picking up on that and posting!

Jim

Jim Mitchell
    Participant

Clay,

Take a look at the photo comparison Billabong posted. There seems to be a difference in your arm brackets and mine. It appears that yours are longer on the bottom, allowing for wider angles. I’m sure this is where the difference in angles is coming from.

Was the upgrade I received last week was supposed to have the longer brackets as shown in your photos?

I think either replacing the brackets or making a longer angle bar would solve the problem. I hesitate to go out beyond the small indents on the angle bar because the bracket screws don’t feel like they’re “biting” into the aluminum bar and could easily become loose. Whereas, with the indents, the bracket screws feel very secure and the brackets don’t loosen up as easy.

Have you thought about making a longer angle bar with indents along the entire side to accommodate a wider range of angles as well as keeping the bracket screws tight and secure?

I’d be happy to use the same angle brackets that you’re using and/or try a longer angle bar.

Thank you.

Jim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.