Advanced Search

Angle cube variability/inconsistency and jumpiness

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Angle cube variability/inconsistency and jumpiness

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

I can’t remember where I got them.  I’ll look through my receipts and see if I can find the order.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

I can’t remember where I got them. I’ll look through my receipts and see if I can find the order.

I found a strip of sheet metal that had been cut on a brake and designed a clip that would slide on the stone.. First one was too tight and this one is a bit too loose. Added a little rubber band to tend and that seems to take up the slack and keep it from sliding off.  Have not tried it on the WE yet but it sits flat so should work fine..   Still working on another design to hopefully allow it to fit on the glass plate as well as the ceramic stones.. Not that I own any.. yet..

Attachments:
    Eric
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 17

My grandson bought me an angle gauge from Harbor freight for Christmas. His heart was in the right place but we all know about those tools..NOT TRUT WORTHY. He is so proud to get me something I’ll use…buttttttt….it has no name. lolDoes it make that much of a difference?? Down deep, I truly already know the answer to that

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I haven’t seen or heard anything about the angle cube from HF, but the best ones I have are made in China.  I suspect that everyone uses the same accelerometer chips to sense gravity and extrapolate relative angular position.  The same chips are probably in your grandson’s smart phone.  In fact, you can download an app to turn your phone into an angle gage.  Same level of accuracy; – +/-0.1 degree. Unlike central processor units, which can be programmed to manage that information, the chips used here are “hard-wired” and fully integrated, so the manufacturer can buy a grunch-load of the chips and have everything they need to produce the same level of precision.  The shortcomings of the HF unit are probably going to be seen in lower reliability and the lack of included features.

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

My grandson bought me an angle gauge from Harbor freight for Christmas. His heart was in the right place but we all know about those tools..NOT TRUT WORTHY. He is so proud to get me something I’ll use…buttttttt….it has no name. lolDoes it make that much of a difference?? Down deep, I truly already know the answer to that

It probably makes a difference but I would still keep it on my work table and “use it” especially when the little one is around. It would be worth comparing the readings between it and another angle cube for the sake of science.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Here’s what I’ve used and my Pros and Cons:

1. Smart Phone: newer $1000 smart phones (inclinometer apps).  Phones scratch easily holding them up against W.E. diamond sharpening stones and they are non-magnet so they have to be hand-held in position to use the app.
    2. iGaging AngleCube Digital Level – does pretty well.  Readings roll a lot and hard to get two successive readings the same.  Low resolution (+/-0.05º) and 0.2º accuracy.  But, does the job with adequate precision.
    3. Accuremote Digital angle gauge – I think it’s the same as the iGaging under a different Brand.  Same Specs, Magnets on 3 sides.  Readings roll a lot and hard to get two successive readings the same.  But, does the job with adequate precision.
    4. Wixey WR300 Type 2 – 0.2º accuracy.  This inexpensive cube is not the most accurate or the lowest resolution.  It does lock in fast and will provide successive same readings, quickly.  Downside is it is only magnetic on base.  So when magnetically attached to stones readings need to be added or subtracted from 90º to determine the Guide rod angles.  Sort of a PIA until you get used to the math.  This cube does a good job for the price.
    5. DXL360S Dual Axis Digital Protractor By far the best resolution, (0.01º) and accuracy (+/- 0.05º) out of any cube I’ve used.  Strong/powerful magnets for good holding.  Sort of slow to lock in so it takes patience to use it. Worth the wait for the precision it provides.  It is very sensitive to the slightest movement. It lacks a lighted LED.  There are several different brand names and price points for the same/similar China made cube.  Long and detailed and somewhat confusing multi-step calibration procedure.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    EugenePapers
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

Get a good one. I use a Slope View TLL-90 (Dual-Axis Digital Protractor)

I milled pockets for stronger earth magnets. You can get them off ebay. Rechargeable too.

Angle cubes and the like are rubbish in comparison. It a bit thicker than a wicked edge hone, 3/4 the length and double the height. It’s back lit and you can even set it up to beep if it is passed the angle you desire. Got a lazer pointer too.

airscapes
    Participant

Get a good one. I use a Slope View TLL-90 (Dual-Axis Digital Protractor) I milled pockets for stronger earth magnets. You can get them off ebay. Rechargeable too. Angle cubes and the like are rubbish in comparison. It a bit thicker than a wicked edge hone, 3/4 the length and double the height. It’s back lit and you can even set it up to beep if it is passed the angle you desire. Got a lazer pointer too.

From what i can see this are not sold at any reliable reseller ..  Ebay seller wants $200, another seller shows it out of stock for  about $50 https://www.inlec.com/slope-view-tll-90-digital-protractor  Glad you like it but if it is unavailable from a real reseller not sure anyone would want to try  it for $200 from Hong Kong.. https://www.inlec.com/slope-view-tll-90-digital-protractor

Leo
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

Hey All…I’ve been using the system since January and really like it; keep in mind I’m an newbie.  A buddy gave new a $900 knife to sharpen so i thought I’d take out the Wixey cube that came with it just to see and verify the angles before I touched his knife.  I put in anew battery, zeroed the unit and to my dismay nothing is right!  I set the screw pins to 20 degrees and the closest I can get one side is 18 and the one side 17??? as well if I move the stone along the blade the angle changes; I thought it was to be the same angle the whole length of the blade…Am I missing something?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Leo you set your angles making gross adjustments first then microfine adjustments to fine tune your sharpeners angle settings to read the desired angle with your angle cube.  Not the opposite way.  Don’t use the sharpeners settings to set your desired precise angle settings.

The sharpener’s inscribed settings are simply an indication of the angles and a reference to use to know which direction you need to move the gross adjusters first, then the micro-fine adjusters last, to increase or decrease your angle settings.

Each side of the sharpeners are independent, that’s why each side has it’s own microfine adjusters to set the precise angles separately and independently.

You will find most knives don’t having matching bevel angles from side to side as they come from the knife maker.  The Wicked Edge allows us to profile our knife edges so the bevel angles are precisely sharpened to the angle we choose and matching, side to side. That way using the zeroed out digital angle cube you can profile then sharpen that $900 knife so each side is precisely sharpened to 20°.  Each subsequent touch ups will be easy to match this by recording your clamping position in your sharpening log.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Leo
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

Marc thanks for the reply. Indeed, I just assumed that purchasing a quality machine that when you set the gross adjustments to 20-degrees that it “should be close”! Setting them to 20-degrees I would think would get you to a point that the micro adjusters could get you bang on. Setting the gross adjusters to 20-degrees and getting 16.6 and 17.4 is laughable when you consider this is supposed to be a precise machine.  I fully expected to set the gross adjustments to the indicated degree and be within micro adjustment reach and this is just not the case hence my question; am I missing something here?

If you tell me that it is common to be that far out then I will take it up this WE directly.

airscapes
    Participant

Leo the reason this happens has nothing to do with quality, it is a fact of Geometry.  I am no expert on the subject but do understand why this occurs.  The system is designed to be fairly accurate using the marking  when the top edge of the bevel is 5/8 of an inch above the vise.  As the knife get higher or lower the angle of the rod from the fixed anchor location to the top of the bevel will change.  This is way you have the ability to fine tune the angle with the micro adjusters.  To under stand this, mount a small knife or piece of bar stock or whatever in the vice so it is 5/8 over the edge of the vise.  Set you angle with the rough setting and use your cube to fine tune it.  Now mount another taller knife or item in the vice and read the angle on the cube.. you will see it changes the higher you get from the vice.  As far as it changing, this is why we have to find the sweet spot of the knife so that angle does not change as much from end to end as the knife curves.  Unfortunately there is still a little art involved in the sharpening of knives, even using a guided system.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by airscapes.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

as well if I move the stone along the blade the angle changes; I thought it was to be the same angle the whole length of the blade…Am I missing something?

If the blade is straight, the angle will remain the same along the whole length. It can begin to change, usually going to a lower, more acute angle, as you get to the belly and tip. That can be managed by the correct positioning of the blade. Here are some good resources about that:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URLVlcwDy6s&list=PLRm8x9sCbpw2tBlHCHKtQC3xeUkqYNbLH
    2. https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/how-i-find-the-sweet-spot-2-parts/page/2/
    3. Your instruction manual should have a page titled Correct Positioning which also covers how to adjust for the curvature along the belly of the blade

-Clay

EugenePapers
    Participant
    • Replies: 3

No need to be racist. The more time passes, more things get made in China, unfortunately, but you have to move with the times. Japan is doing other things these days. Here are some ebay links. I paid $170. No more battery replacements and less time faffing around questioning my tools.

I fashioned up a cradle for some magnetic-ness for the ceramic hones that works both sides.

Also you can use elastic bands to hold the hone steady while you make adjustments. Stretch elastic band from far left over other side of clamp to hold the right side hone up against the blade.

Cradle pictured for ceramic and water hones.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=TLL90+Digital+Laser+Level+Protractor+Angle&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=TLL90+Digital+Laser+Level+Protractor+Angle+Finder+Meter%09%28+item%3A+320697804549++transaction%3A+1143668501011+%29

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Eugene:  Thanks for the new vocabulary addition.  “Faffing” was a new one for me.  I watch a lot of BBC cop shows on PBS and am always hearing new stuff, but this was new, for sure.

Also, I hadn’t seen this new Angle Cube before this and am impressed by the 0.001 resolution.  The 0.01 res is more than enough for our purposes, so I can’t justify the $175, although it does make my tongue hard – I am a sucker for new gadget tools.  Does it have a reasonable settling time?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.