Advanced Search

Ancillary Equipment

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ancillary Equipment

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

I use 95% of the stuff listed through this topic but no one has listed gloves. I bought a dozen pairs of Kevlar gloves because I was beginning to look like I had been on the losing side of a knife fight. Believe me since I have been wearing them I have slipped a lot and the gloves saved me from some old fashioned blood letting. Protects well against slashing cuts with some good pressure and mild pokes with the tip. I donated one pair to see how much it would take to cut them and I was pretty impressed with my sharpest knife fresh off the WE it did not cut all the way through the top layer and the rubber coated palms did not make through that side either. Just my .02 worth
    Jed

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Any specifics on the gloves? Brand, model, photos, where you got them?

I have some shooting gloves with Kevlar lining… and some others with various slash/puncture resistant linings. A bit of insurance when working up hot loads with pistols. But I wouldn’t say that they are very good for tasks that require dexterity or a delicate sense of touch. That is why I ask about specifics. I would have to check them out to see if they look like I could sharpen with them on…

Good idea though… I have cut myself using the WEPS… not so much lately. I have learned to respect the process.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I donated one pair to see how much it would take to cut them and I was pretty impressed with my sharpest knife fresh off the WE it did not cut all the way through the top layer and the rubber coated palms did not make through that side either.

Good tip.

Mark tested a glove once also, you might find of interest…

The chicken and the Kevlar glove

🙂

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

The final cut I got was a small one but on a big 14″ butcher knife and it was in slow motion as the very tip “just enough to draw blood” of my little finger nicked the blade and went flying through the air.
    I still catch myself every now and then on the blades but I am trying to go a bit faster to keep the production line at the farmers market going. Gotta make fun money. So safety is key because cuts will slow me down there and open wounds working at the hospital is not on my list of a good idea either.

Ansell HyFlex 11-500 Kevlar Cut Resistant Gloves

I bought them on eBay a year or so ago for $25.00 for 12 pairs of them I think they are $36 now. I looked up the cut ratings and the cut pressures needed to cut through this specific pair and they boiled down to what I thought I needed. There are some other pairs out there with a much better cut and stab resistance but I was not going to shell out $85 – $125 for one pair. Any way you go with safety gloves is a lot cheaper than stitches will be.

You can look through this and see if they might be the pair for you. I have to save my money for the new serrated sharpening stone and some water stones that is why theses appealed to my needs.
    http://www.ansellpro.com/hyflex/11-500.asp

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/jethro1975/media/hyflex_CR_zps3fbdf0d1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
    http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/jethro1975/media/KGrHqVHJCEE9EGdKqpBPUo8KJ9r60_35_zps7ea10aa8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Hope this info helps some.
    Jed

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I will have to see whether I can get some.
    There is a great idea here. Not sure if my already fumble finger hands could deal with the interference.

One never knows until they try!!
    😆

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I was really impressed how well the Kevlar gloves protected against slicing and slashing. And they’re quite cheap. However, they did very little to protect me from stabbing (which is what I bought them for – opening oysters).

And although they were not really uncomfortable, their interference was not really practical during sharpening.

And the chicken is dead.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

A friend made this little stone holder for me. It is really handy as I can take them from the table over to the sink and give them a bath and put them back in the rack and then let them dry.

Sorry I thought I had figured out how to post a picture.
    I’ll go back to the drawing board?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Okay I give up. Can someone point me in the direction of how to post a pic?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Mark 76
    “And the chicken is dead.”

Translation please.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Mark 76
    “And the chicken is dead.”

Translation please.

see the thread that Curtis mentions above.
    http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=11&id=3556&Itemid=63

Mikedoh

Thanks Phil. I now get it.

Mark76
    Participant

Mike, in Dutch: En de kip is dood. Hartstikke dood.

:cheer:

Mikedoh

Uh oh, now I’m in Dutch!:)

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

When I purchased my WEPS PP 2, I did a lot of research to see what folks were using and pretty much use the same stuff you’ve mentioned.

For the cushioned rest though for the arms to lay on, I use a section of one of those dense foam ” water noodles ” like you get at Wal-Mart…………they are cheaper than the cabinet or drawer liner, and when they get dirty, you simply toss it and cut another section and keep on trucking.

You can get approx. 5-6 sections out of 1 water noodle before having to buy another.( quote )

Mark and Phillip…….not sure how my post above got linked under ChrisFeher, but I am the one that actually did post that………don’t have a picture of the water noodles Mark, but if you go to Walmart, they usually have a box or bin of them in the middle of the isle near sporting goods……..they are brightly colored rolls of foam, hollow in the middle, that kids use in the pool as a flotation device……..and yes Phillip, this is what I position at the back or top edge of the baseplate and use to rest my arms / rods on so they don’t bang into the quartzstone base. I am thinking though of cutting one of the noodles in half, and hot gluing the flat edge to the base so it doesn’t move……a 1/2 section would still provide plenty of padding for the rods to rest on. :woohoo:

Mark76
    Participant

Hey Darrell, there was a problem with user accounts last month. I guess that is the reason. It should be solved by now, but I cannot change user names.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.