Advanced Search

Aluminum plate guard

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Aluminum plate guard

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Cracked the glass on the 1500/ fine stone tonight. The stone got hung up on the rod and slipped out of my hand. The glass side came down on the corner of the stone onto the aluminum plate and I knew what was next… I’m curious if somebody has come up with an aftermarket solution to guard against this? I know home made will work but I’m curious what’s out there…

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Forum member “airscapes” makes and sells these strop covers that can help prevent the accident you experienced.  (He also makes and sells other handy W.E. user’s accessories).  Just always keep your lapping film plates covered along with your polishing strops, until you are ready to work with them.  These plastic covers should prevent accidental damage or breakage along with grit cross contamination.

Another remedy is to replace or exchange out the glass blanks with extruded aluminum plates cut to size.  The aluminum flat bar stock is available from Lowe’s or Home Depot.  The 3/4″ wide X 1/8″ thick aluminum strips need to be cut to 5-1/2″ lengths.  The aluminum plates work well, in place of the breakable glass long as you don’t scratch or gouge the aluminum plates surface.

You can remove the broken glass blanks, (or any other medium for that matter), by placing the plastic paddle in a small frying pan with the broken glass side down.  Heat the dry pan on the stove top to a low temperature setting.  When warmed for 5 to 10 minutes to achieve 225°F to 250°F it softens the foam tape’s adhesive that W.E. uses to adhere the different mediums to the handles.  The glass can then be easily lifted and removed from the plastic paddles using a very thin small bladed flat screw driver or a thin putty knife inserted then slid up under the medium you want to remove.  The foam tape can be cleanly removed by rolling it up then pulling it off while it’s still hot.  The adhesive comes off easily and cleanly working with it while it’s still hot.

Replacement glass blanks are available from Wicked Edge. The double sided foam tape, 3M VHB RP32 0.75″ wide X 5yd rolls, is available from Amazon to reattach the plates.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    rummels
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 34

MarcH’s suggestion about replacement glass platens is a good one. It is really easy to heat the damaged glass platens (I use an old electric skillet) and remove them. The glue strips and replacement platens are inexpensive and pre-cut to fix nicely into the recesses in the handles. The old glue will often pull off the handle as a single, stringy gob (if it breaks apart easily as you pull it off the handle, you probably heated it in the pan/skillet a little too long). I would suggest that a thinner putty knife makes it a little easier to get under the broken platen and pry it away from the handle. If any glue sticks to the handle and won’t pull off (you didn’t heat it long enough), put some vegetable oil from your kitchen on it and let it sit for an hour. The oil will get between the glue and the handle and it will come right off. Just remember to wash the handle thoroughly to remove any remaining oil before installing the glue strip
    rummels

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I use an infrared thermometer looking for 225°F.  That seems to be a good temp.  Just right for cleanly removing the glass and the foam tape strip adhering it.  (Careful, it’s hot enough to burn your fingers!)  If you pry the glass up from one of the narrow ends, immediately work your tool around to a long side.  You’ll have an easier time lifing and flipping the glass over from the side.  Lifting from the end is a goodway to snap the glass.  (Ask me how I know that?)  Like “rummels” said, the glass and the foam tape come right up and off cleanly, when the temperature is just right.  If you’re having trouble lifting the glass then it’s not quite hot enough.

I do prefer using the glass plates for the lapping films.  It’s smoother and flatter then the aluminum plates and the PSA films stick better to glass.  Also it’s easy and necessary to pre-clean the glass plate before applying a new film strip.  Any dust, etc, left on the plate will make a noticeable bump in the film that you’ll feel during lapping.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.