Advanced Search

Advice on which unit to purchase

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Advice on which unit to purchase

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eric
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hello there I’m very interested on buying a WE . I dont know which one to get. It looks like theres upgrades to all of em – I have shun knives that are in need to be sharpened and get the micro chips out – I’m not sure if its all that important to get the 130 clamp or go with an older regular and spend the money on a couple of fine stones. Not sure if the basic kits with the lower grit stones are going to get the job done. I like the pro pack 1 but am unsure of the clamp – heard its off a degree. I am a Tuna fisherman and have some Sushi knives which I’m not sure at all about . Any advice is welcomed. Eric

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Eric, welcome to the Forum,  I recommend to any new buyer to buy at least the WE130 or F&S Pro with the Single Lever Cam Style Vice.  The WE100 – WE120 will do exactly what it’s made to do.  Especially when price is of the upmost consideration.  I have seen many users, maybe most users, eventually upgrade to the WE130 type vice once they used their WEPS for a while.  I think the technology is day to night better with the WE130, then the older screw wedge style clamp vice.  The WE130 is really a simpler easier more efficient vice to work with.

Speaking with personal experience, also a Shun Knife owner/user.  A basic setup of stones will sharpen a Shun knife irrespective of the type of steel it’s made with.  Once you get started using the WE you will want more stones of a wider grit variety.  That’s just the nature of sharpening.  As your skill and ability improves your desire to do better work with enhanced tools will come.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Eric
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thank you appreciate it !

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Eric, welcome to the forum, too. I support Marc in that is probably the most advanced WE 130, but the stones don’t realy differ. Basiccally the WE 130 is more precise, repeatable and easy to clamp. But as far as sharpening itself goes, it doesn’t matter that much. If you want to reporfile a Shun I’d start 100 grits, but some people here start at 400 grits. And then you go as sharp as you want and also use the lapping films, if you want to.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.