Advanced Search

advice on the diamond lapping film

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping advice on the diamond lapping film

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    phillyjudge
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 63

I have used these when  I had access to a friend’s Edge Pro—they are fantastic. I used them at the original angle, then widened the angle and hit the apex with something toothier…it is a great combo.

Question, b/c of their cost, which one or 2 should I buy if I sharpen up to 1000 grit?

dima
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 26

I have used these when I had access to a friend’s Edge Pro—they are fantastic. I used them at the original angle, then widened the angle and hit the apex with something toothier…it is a great combo. Question, b/c of their cost, which one or 2 should I buy if I sharpen up to 1000 grit?

According to the grit comparison chart, 1000 grit is around 7 micron. I remember, Clay mentioned that with stropping you need to go back a bit with grit because properties of diamond plate differ from lapping film. Which means you’d need to continue with 9 micron lapping film even though it might seem counterproductive. So, to answer your question – 9 and 6 micron.

I could be mistaken, though.

dima
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 26

I have used these when I had access to a friend’s Edge Pro—they are fantastic. I used them at the original angle, then widened the angle and hit the apex with something toothier…it is a great combo. Question, b/c of their cost, which one or 2 should I buy if I sharpen up to 1000 grit?

According to the grit comparison chart, 1000 grit is around 7 micron. I remember, Clay mentioned that with stropping you need to go back a bit with grit because properties of diamond plate differ from lapping film. Which means you’d need to continue with 9 micron lapping film even though it might seem counterproductive. So, to answer your question – 9 and 6 micron. I could be mistaken, though.

I was mistaken, it looks like. In his latest YouTube video Clay goes from 1000 grit to 6 micron lapping film (and then to 3 micron)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGMF2dWIesY

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I was mistaken, it looks like. In his latest YouTube video Clay goes from 1000 grit to 6 micron lapping film (and then to 3 micron) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGMF2dWIesY

I’ve had a lot of success going from the 1000# diamond to the 6µ films. It’s faster, and maybe saves wear on the 6µ films if you use the 9µ first, but it isn’t totally essential.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Serge
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 13

I tried 15µ first. It does create shiny edge. Not a mirror, but definitely an improvement over 1000 grit. My stones are fairly new, so I tried even lower grits films. 60µ and 30µ. That was interesting. Similar to 800/1000 grit, as far as I can eyeball it. May be when my WEPS stones are fully broken-in, 30/60µ won’t be necessary, but it does help for new stones.

Joe_Manco
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

<hr />

Wow, my stones must not be broken in at all or I’m using too much pressure with the 1k although for the last 25 strokes per side I’m only using enough pressure to keep them against the knife. I have been using 15, 9, then 6 down to 0.5 diamond film. I have done 4 knifes with the 15 micron and maybe it has worn down along with my 1k diamond stone. Also, I have been wiping my films down with alcohol on a blue shop paper towels between uses and they come out very clean.

phillyjudge
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 63

Thanks everybody!

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

I have finally tried the Diamond lapping films after the 1K diamonds. I went to 6-.1u films as a lot of users have suggested. It is absolutely SWEET!

I might try to go to .05, .025u diamond spray yet on leather or balsa. Has anyone else wen to this level?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Although its hard to see the results of .05 and .025U with anything other than a microscope, I believe it does make a difference.  I have used nano cloth and kangaroo leather for the application of the finest grits.  Other Obsessively Compulsive (OC) people like me may agree.  At the very least, it’s fun to try and do and occasionally brag about.  I don’t think a edge down that fine, on a working mans knife is necessary, however, it’s cool that we can do it with the WE. It’s a testament to the precision and accuracy that is possible.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.