Advanced Search

Adjustable Height Vise Prototype

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Adjustable Height Vise Prototype

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

My brother’s rig does beautifully on the knives he sharpens, which are all kitchen knives with very little curve to them.  Imagine sharpening the tip of a Tanto though.  (Yes, I know to move the blade so as to put the forward edge  in a horizontal plane – this is just for demonstration purposes) The stone would stay almost vertical at the tip and be free to rotate around the edge.  The pivot point on the WEPS is chosen to best match a broad variety of knives – most of which have some degree of belly to them.  The closer the blade conforms to the radial sweep of the rods, the more uniform the bevel angle will be.  For relatively straight blades, the more the constant-angle horizontal plane rule applies.

On a related point, consider that you have a blade like the CRKT Razel, where the forward edge is at a right angle to the main edge.  If you were to mount the blade with the tip immediately forward of the vise, the bevel angle there would be closer to 90 degrees than 20.  So you move the knife forward, (if it will reach that far) so as to put the angle close to your desired angle.  This is the same principle as “finding the sweet spot,” but in an extreme case.

The only reason I can see for increasing the height of the vise is to more closely match up to much larger, deep belly blades.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks.  Your reply certainly makes sense… the Razel is a good example of what I said… as you approach 90°  the pivot distance matters (which now makes me think a real benefit would be in being able to lower a knife).

I guess at some point, if anyone who is doing this could come up with a table of… this pivot distance works on this knife… that would be interesting to see.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

And I have GOT to get some of those stop collars! Where do you get them from? I would need the .375″ size though…

Josh you know me, Im the bargain basement Baron. I took a 50 cent nylon sleeve from the hardware and tapped the threads for a nylon screw to be inserted. Works! ? The 2 things I like about this vise concept is first it can be raised to change to increase the arc of the sweet spot….and the independantly adjustable vise jaws allow for different tapered blade profiles to be locked in. A side bonus is you can adjust the vertical plumb of the blade while its clamped by loosening one side and tightening the other. The only design flaw Id change if doing again would be to stack the adjustment screws vertically down the middle instead of staggering them side to side(on their respective sides), it tends to twist the vise jaws a bit wonky.

You are resourceful as usual, my friend!

If the two bottom jacking screws are done inline, certainly as you already realized, will eliminate the unpleasant twist.

If I may suggest, if it is not already done, radius the end of the jacking screws will also eliminate marring the opposite jacking flat!?

Nice job!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.