Advanced Search

Adding a 50/80

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Adding a 50/80

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tim
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Hey, thanks for adding this sub forum! I enjoy the whole forum but feel more comfortable asking questions here.

Ok, have had the Pro Pack II for about two weeks and have sharpened 8 knives, all Henkels/Wustoff kitchen knives, all dull and in need of re-profiling and none of them being my “favorite” knives. I took the advice to start on old knives and work up to my better knives. I really can see a difference as the stones break in, my first two knives I re sharpened can cut hot butter, the last two, both Chef’s knives, have a decent polish and will shave hair, sharper than they have ever been. Learned a bit by doing and reading, particularly about reducing the strop angle by 2 degrees, big difference.

So my question. I have a lot of knifes that I will be re-profiling and bought the 50/80 stones to help on the advice of the folks at WE. Since I have not used these stones and they are extremely coarse, I assume I should find some more old knives, or perhaps an axe, machete or two, to break them in before using them on better knives. Once broken in, do you recommend starting a re-profiling of a decent knife with such a coarse stone or do you recommend starting with the 100 as I have done so far? And when would you use the 50 side, other than for blunt instruments like axes?

Again, new to the WE but not to knife sharpening. Appreciate your advice. I am very impressed with the WE system and wish I had found it 30 years ago, would have saved a lot of time and money!

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey Ducs, welcome to the forum! Great you enjoy the WEPS.

Personally I use the 100 grit stones for nearly all reprofiling work. Even though I have used them a lot, they are still going strong. I only use the 50/80’s for the real hard work.

That said, you could use the 50/80’s for a lot of profiling. However, because they are quite coarse, be prepared to have to do quite a bit of “cleaning up” at the level of the 100’s. As you wrote yourself, only use the 50/80’s on your better knives after they have broken in, otherwise they’ll make very deep scratches.

Success & have fun!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

My .02, you can use the 50 and or 80 to start a reprofiling job, then switch to the 100 to finish it. The key is to not use the 50/80 to reach the edge. Just pay attention to the scratch pattern, and when it gets close to the edge, switch to the 100g stone to finish the reprofile and clean up the coarser grind.

Tim
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Thanks, great advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.