Advanced Search

accessory stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat accessory stones

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    zachary lawrence
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

hey all. im new but i just thought id ask. i got a wicked edge a couple of months ago. i placed an order on the 27th of november and have yet to recieve my 2000 3000 5000 and 10000 grit stones. i wanted to know whether i should be worried since the rest already came in. as you know those stones are not cheap. is it common for them to take over 2 weeks to come in?

zachary lawrence
    Participant

sorry i meant to say the 27th of december

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

I sent an order of the Choseras to Clay the last week of December – He should’ve just gotten them by now. Hopefully yours are going to be from that batch.

zachary lawrence
    Participant

thank you. i am really liking the sharpener so far. i havent been able to get a mirror finish yet although pretty close with the thousand grit. im hoping these stones that are coming in will make the difference. from what i have read about them they should. i do have a question about the strops though. when i am using any of the strop configurations the strops want to stick to the knife and does not feel smooth. is this normal? i used the paste and the first time i used it it is very slick but if i go to use it a day later it just wants to stick to the knife. i am using a up and away motion and im assuming you cam load half of the tube of paste on the strops and it will lasts a few stropping sessions. any advice will help.

Jende Industries
    Participant

You should get a mirror on the 5K, and by the 10K you should be able to see yesterday in the reflection!

For a perfect mirror, you will need to put in some time on the 2K and 3K to remove some of the coarser scratches from the diamonds.

I’m not sure what to say about the paste – I’ll let someone with more experience answer that one 🙂

Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 44

I think that you put on way to much paste, you only need about a one half inch long line of paste and rub that on the face of the strop.

Lucky

DrMatt
    Participant
    • Replies: 18

Half a tube? Holy essss!!! No wonder it’s sticking. A little dab about the size of the pencil led that snaps off if you press too hard. Smear it on the leather in the area of use (no need to go all the way to the ends because you don’t go there on the WE). Rub it in good with your finger then let it sit overnight. It’s then good for around 20 blades or more. You should get a serious mirror finish with the strops and pastes, wet stones aside. Also, if you’re going to multiple strops with different grit pastes, make sure you wash your hands good prior to applying the pastes to prevent cross contamination. If you’re doing multiple grits, start with the finest first then move up from there. For example, start with the 3.5 micron, then go to the 5 then 10. This way if you get some 3.5 micron paste on the 10 micron paddle, not so bad but the other way and you’ve ruined the entire thing.

Hey Tom, you there? Need to talk. B)

Jende Industries
    Participant

I’m around again!

zachary lawrence
    Participant

thank you. i didnt relize how little you use cause it comes in a tiny suringe with maby a 1/4 teespoon of paste as appossed to my .50 and .25 that comes in larger spray bottles. thanks for the advise.

GREGARY WATKINS
    Participant
    • Topics: 0

If you’re doing multiple grits, start with the finest first then move up from there. For example, start with the 3.5 micron, then go to the 5 then 10. This way if you get some 3.5 micron paste on the 10 micron paddle, not so bad but the other way and you’ve ruined the entire thing.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this – are you saying strop in REVERSE order of grit? Maybe I missed a critical detail but what you’re saying that doesn’t quite make sense to me. Maybe you mean if you change strops without cleaning the edge between them in case the paste mixes between strops?

I clean the edge with either denatured alcohol or acetone after the 1000 grit diamond stones and then use the 10 micron strops. Then clean the same way before switching to the 5 micron. Then again before 3.5 micron. Working down in grit (coarsest-finest/10-3.5) makes sense to me – not stropping upward in grit. I must have missed something or misinterpreted your post. Forgive me if I’ve made a mistake here.

DrMatt
    Participant
    • Replies: 18

I guess that could sound confusing. I was talking about APPLYING the paste to the strops. Obviously when you strop, you go the other way and cleaning the edge as you describe is correct.

don griffith
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 51

I guess that could sound confusing. I was talking about APPLYING the paste to the strops. Obviously when you strop, you go the other way and cleaning the edge as you describe is correct.

Damn, thought I was on to something….

GREGARY WATKINS
    Participant
    • Topics: 0

Whoops, my mistake! Makes sense now. 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.