Advanced Search

A2 tool steel as used by Bark River Knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Steel A2 A2 tool steel as used by Bark River Knives

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Bark River under the direction of Mike Stewart has grown awesomely in the past few years. Their success is due to two reasons as I see it…excellent knife design by Mike and the wise use of the best steels, A2 being among the best carbon steels around IMHO.
    I have two BRK with this fine steel, the Bravo 1 which was designed by Mike for the Marine Corp chaps who infiltrate beyond enemy lines to gather intelligence. They wanted a survival knife that was strong, took a great edge with good edge retention, easy to sharpen in the field and when necessary, to use as a tactical knife. Bravo 1 was the outcome of the competition…A2 was the steel that impressed the Marines and had all the characteristics they were looking for.
    The Gunny is a smaller version of the Bravo 1, but not significantly smaller…to my mind it may be an even more useful knife for most chores, while its big brother may do a better job of heavy jobs like batoning.
    In any case the A2 steel is an excellent, all around metal and next to 3G is my favourite.

The Bravo 1 is next to last on the right and the Guny is the one next to it.
    A2 is a very desirable steel IMHO.It is an air hardening steel rather than one requiring quenching in oil or water.It is considered a general purpose steel.
    The components are 1.0% Carbon, 1.0% Magnesium, 5.0% Chromium, 0.3% Nickel, 1.0% Molybdenum, 0.15รขโ‚ฌโ€œ0.50% Vanadium.

Cheers
    Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Leo,
    Great photo of a bunch of beautiful knives. That Bravo 1 is exceptional. Now I’m going to have to think about picking one of those up ๐Ÿ™‚

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Just to rub it in more, here is another shot of the two knives…the Bravo 1 has Spalted Maple Burl scles and the Gunny Desert Ironwoo scales. Sorry chum, I couldn’t resist tempting you some more. It is a really great knife. I would be interested to see how it would do in the other half of your life hunting/guiding et al. Sorry for all the dust on the knives! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Leo

Anthony Yan
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 96

If you are unfamiliar with Bark River Knives, then I highly recommend you watch virtuovice on YouTube. He is a deer-hunter in Japan who collects knives. His favorite knives are from Bark River. Please keep in mind he is Japanese, so his English has a very strong accent. To me, he seems to be quite an interesting and refined guy. When I have the spare cash, I may try Bark River Knife or two, because of virtuovice.

https://www.youtube.com/user/virtuovice

Here is a video of his I randomly selected, where he talks about 3 of his Bark River Knives:

Sincerely,
    –Lagrangian

P.S. If you are squeemish, then simply avoid the virtuovice videos with the title “deer hunting”. His other videos are fine for squeemish people like myself.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Thanks Anthony! I watch virtuevoice all the time on YouTube…I have great respect for his knowledge of knives and hunting…and his wisdom in a broad range of fields.
    ” Hello Knife people!”
    He is one of the good guys!

Leo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.