Advanced Search

A testimony to the capabilities of the Wicked Edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos A testimony to the capabilities of the Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Just wanted to post pics of this crazy dagger I did for someone on the Wicked Edge… turned out beautiful! Took a while though… Finished on .5um strops. I had to put a crazy steep angle on it (something like 30-35*) due to the geometry of the dagger… technically it could be a scandi grind (due to the primary grind itself being about 20*) but I wasn’t about to attempt that!! Anyway… here ya go.

Before:

After:

Wouldn’t wanted to have attempted this on the belt sander or paper wheels, that’s for sure!!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow! That’s incredible! Beautiful job!

It didn’t know the WEPS could even do that. Could you tell us a little bit more on how you did the recurves?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

What a beautiful job you have done on that Kris blade – and great pics too! :cheer:
    Did you find one location that where the stones would track for this blade, or did you do each luk individually? How long is the blade?
    Bob

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That looks terrific! What kind of steel?

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

Not sure on these kind of steel Clay, sorry! Well, what I did was similar to what you described in the other thread Bob…I just used either one corner or both – on the diamonds all the way up. The stock diamonds really worked great for the recurved part! I was pleasantly surprised! I went from the 50 grit stock diamond up through the 1k. Then it was on to my curved ceramics …the shine really started coming out on the 5k/10k choseras after the ceramics though. Oh, and Mark, I lapped the edges of my choseras slightly to take out any nicks and very slightly round the corners. This Kris blade didn’t damage them at all. Then I went to the strops

Mark
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 56

Very nice Josh!

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

There is a topic about WE in Ukrainian knife forum,I posted these pictures to illustrate the capabilities of WE and there was good amount of doubt, some were saying that there is no way such knife can be fastened securely in the clamp. Just curious how you did it

Josh
    Participant

hey Taras, glad you asked. I should have posted pics of that. They would probably be right if i used the “conventional WEPS” wisdom of clamping the blade in the middle (i.e. the center between the tip and heel), however I had to think outside the box on this one. there is a flat part at the base of the blade (where the manufacturer, steel type, etc. is listed) that I actually clamped the vise onto. I then used the knife brace that came in the wicked edge kit to stabilize the tip. Additionally I used my straight razor mods that I had built to put the arm pivots out in front of the vise…. here is a link to what i’m talking about…

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

hey Taras, glad you asked. I should have posted pics of that. They would probably be right if i used the “conventional WEPS” wisdom of clamping the blade in the middle (i.e. the center between the tip and heel), however I had to think outside the box on this one. there is a flat part at the base of the blade (where the manufacturer, steel type, etc. is listed) that I actually clamped the vise onto. I then used the knife brace that came in the wicked edge kit to stabilize the tip. Additionally I used my straight razor mods that I had built to put the arm pivots out in front of the vise…. here is a link to what i’m talking about…

Nice modification Josh – thanks for sharing the pics!

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant

Hi Josh, thanks for explanation, I can see guys on the forum were really impressed with the rig you constructed, you seem to be very inventive and Clay also said it elswhere that it is amazing how many bright and talanted people are here on this forum and I completely agree

Josh
    Participant

not near as inventive as Clay, lol, but I try when I need to!

I would have love to see what they are recommending on the Ukranian forums on sharpening this… I doubt the Edge Pro would have been able to do as good of a job, not that I don’t like the EP, it’s outstanding. But I’m just saying =)

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant

There is a group of what I would call “freehand sharpening snobs”, to them any system is BS, like “what this system can do what I can not with just my hands”, why spend that kind of money on it. What they forget that they are sharpening not only with their hands, but also with the good quality stones, which are also expensive. And there is also some amount of self interest, one of the most outspoken guys is selling stropping paddles and compounds, the other one is selling Japaneze waterstones

Also some compare the price of EP with WE, but compare US prices as if systems somehow magically teleport to Ukraine. In Ukrainian realities EP is more expensive, the only guy who sells them asks $300 for KIT3 and $325 for KIT4

Nick Vas
    Participant
    • Replies: 3

Hello Josh! I was convinced that you are the talented architect. I want to throw to you one idea. You can modify Wicked Edge so that it supported a sharpening corner on a blade bend?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks for your question, Nick, it’s a good one. But please don’t post it in multiple threads at the same time. It is off-topic here and moved I one of your questions before.

So questions (and answers) related to dealing with angle changes (perhaps by modifying the WEPS), here please: http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=4145&Itemid=63

And questions (and answers) related to the maths of angle changes, here please: http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=2&id=4154&Itemid=63

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Excellent job Josh!!! VERY nicely done!:woohoo:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.