Advanced Search

A new youtube video

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic A new youtube video

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    jabas2000
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 32

I made a new video of sharpening a cheap knife on the wicked edge.

Jan

5 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed it!

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Thanks for posting the video.  I like the idea of using a brush versus a cloth or fingers to clean the edge between grits.

Alan

jabas2000
    Participant

Alan

Once i saw that when i use a cloth i became little scratches on the blade, since that time i use a brush.

Dale Wachholz
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

That was a very well done video.  Thank you for posting it.  Simple things, like the brush, are good to share.

I find myself doing a lot of work (maintenance and repairs) on family owned toys, such as ATV, motorcycles, and yes, cars.   It’s not like a I know a lot about these things, I just enjoy figuring things out.  Youtube is a great resource.  But so many posters want to spend time talking instead of just showing me what I need in a short video.

So again, thank you and keep up the good work.

Dale

jabas2000
    Participant

Using the edge-on-up.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Interesting. This is the second video in two days that I have seen utilizing one of those testers. Unfortunately, it only gives information about push cutting ability. Is yours the model PT50B or PT50C?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Organic.
    jabas2000
    Participant

PT50B

jabas2000
    Participant

Sharpening a chefs knife.

jabas2000
    Participant

Sharpening a cheap Knife.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    jabas2000
    Participant

What can i do better.

jabas2000
    Participant
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I thought that we were not supposed to check angles with a coarse stone? And I advise you guys to wear a N95 mask when you are sharpening knives with any system. It is the particles and dust that you do not see, that you breathe in…IMHO

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

000Robert, there are really not any definite do’s or definite don’ts when sharpening with the Wicked Edge.  Other then…don’t let your fingers dangle across a sharp exposed knife edge!  Find what you like and what gives you the results you seek and put those practices together to develop you’re own, individual “sharpening technique”.  Be open to refine and adapt your practices as you gain experiences.

I check my angles with each and every stone, no matter how coarse or fine the stones are or whichever medium I’m using.

I think you’ll find that you’ll have less of a problem with the dust particles, (that you’re using the dust mask for), after all your sharpening stones, (in particular the coarser ones) have been broken in well.  I too have used the N95 mask for this issue.  That’s good safe practice.  (I keep a mask handy by my sharpening station for when I find I need it).

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

That’s the point, you always need it even after the stones are broken in. Just like you can’t see all of the tiny droplets that spread in a cloud when someone sneezes, you can’t see all of the microscopic dust and particles that are floating in the air while grinding steel.

I meant after you apply the sharpie the first time and you’re checking the original angle of the edge. I thought the object was to just remove the sharpie until you get your angle set right where you need it and then go to the coarsest stone that you need to use. Sorry that I didn’t explain it very well before.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.