Advanced Search

A new idea …

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

alright, so I’ve had this idea for a while now – just haven’t had time to try it (or the resources at this point yet).

Clay, I love how beautiful your convex edges turn out… but the problem I have with doing it that way is that it seems like it removes an unnecessary amount of metal. I have been successful in doing it the opposite way, although it is more difficult (i.e. sharpening to your steepest angle first, then lowering it 1″, giving it a few passes, lowering it one more, etc. and then blending them together w/ the strops).

But this is my thought… I always see everyone out there recommending the “sandpaper and mousepad” trick for convexed edges… why can’t we take this to the WEPS? it is perfectly suited for this. So what we could do is cut up a mousepad into the right sizes to be mounted to a WE paddle, and then mount some PSA 3m sandpaper to it and go to town w/ trailing edge strokes… I think it would work great! you would get the best of both worlds – remove the lease amount of metal necessary but still have a nice, wide, even bevel. Anyway, just a thought… what do you guys think about this?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Great idea, Josh. Please give us the photographs 😉 .

But seriously, it shouldn’t be too difficult to achieve with an aluminium strip and a mouse mat. And then some sandpaper or perhaps stropping compound.

For my information, was sort of mouse mat do people usually use to obtain a convex edge? The local computer store has many different types, with a thickness ranging from less than 1 mm to over 1 cm.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I did something similar to this using sandpaper mounted to the leather…

I used “Removable Double Sided Tape”, which had just enough hold to keep the paper on, but didn’t leave any residue. (And a surprise to me, I only need one piece for the entire process.) Sandpaper from 100-2500 grit. Then, just removed the tape for the final stropping with the leather.

A lot of posts I’ve read… people switched from using mousepads to just using leather, because the mousepad had too much give… although it’s still commonly called the “sandpaper on mousepad” technique. :silly:

Attachments:
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Seems like your idea should work perfectly, Josh. The leather idea is good too. Probably less compressive than the neoprene, so the “convexing” would be a bit less, depending on your goal.

Ken

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Josh,

Thanks for your post! It’s a thought that’s been lurking around in my mind for a long time – mounting neoprene pads to the handles. If you do it, I’d love to hear your results. I have a couple other tricks up my sleeve for convex edges that I think you’ll love, once I get them into production.

alright, so I’ve had this idea for a while now – just haven’t had time to try it (or the resources at this point yet).

Clay, I love how beautiful your convex edges turn out… but the problem I have with doing it that way is that it seems like it removes an unnecessary amount of metal. I have been successful in doing it the opposite way, although it is more difficult (i.e. sharpening to your steepest angle first, then lowering it 1″, giving it a few passes, lowering it one more, etc. and then blending them together w/ the strops).

But this is my thought… I always see everyone out there recommending the “sandpaper and mousepad” trick for convexed edges… why can’t we take this to the WEPS? it is perfectly suited for this. So what we could do is cut up a mousepad into the right sizes to be mounted to a WE paddle, and then mount some PSA 3m sandpaper to it and go to town w/ trailing edge strokes… I think it would work great! you would get the best of both worlds – remove the lease amount of metal necessary but still have a nice, wide, even bevel. Anyway, just a thought… what do you guys think about this?

-Clay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.