Advanced Search

A few observations/questions from this weeks use

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started A few observations/questions from this weeks use

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Josh-L, what you’re observing is a correct observation.  It is due to the design characteristic of your vice style.  Please read this previous post from earlier this year.  Make sure you click on the blue links in this post and the linked forum posts and read them thoroughly.  This should help you to understand the clamping issue you’re experiencing.

When you run out of adjustment screw with the micro-fine adjustment, you sometimes have to loosen the coarse angle adjustment and move it out to the next higher degree mark.  Tighten it securely and then readjust the microfine accordingly.  Sometimes the left and right rod angle settings to achieve the proper bevel angle will read different angles off the square bar and be tightened in different angle detent holes.  These angles are only a guide.  The digital angle cube reading is what you should go by.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh-L
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 13

Thanks Marc. I’m wishing now I would have just saved a little longer and got the gen 3 pro lol.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Thanks Marc. I’m wishing now I would have just saved a little longer and got the gen 3 pro lol.

Save up and upgrade the vice when it’s possible.  In the mean time, this will make you a better knife sharpener learning to deal with this vice’s limitations and learning how to calculate then adjust for the blade lean and learning how to produce even bevels with this.  It is right now, what you have to work with, so learn how to deal with it.  Remember that’s all anyone had was this one type vice just a couple years ago.  The new cam vice with floating jaws is only about two years available now.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Josh once you get used to checking for lean and learning the clamp, adjusting the angle to compensate is really a simple thing to do. You will like your system and the original vise, it does have advantages on certain knives, small knives especially. Clamp up several knives and determine how the way you clamp a knife effects the lean. Even the pressure you tighten with can effect how the knife sets for sharpening. Once you get the hang of it there won’t be a problem. FYI…the gen 3 vise is nice however.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.