Advanced Search

5/3.5 or 1/.5 leathers strops?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Strops 5/3.5 or 1/.5 leathers strops?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

When I about my wicked edge Pro package 1 I opted to get the 1200 / 1600 ceramic stones in place of the leather strops. After using the wicked edge for a while I’m wanting to buy some leather strops to further polish the edge. I’m not sure which strops to buy going from the 1200 / 1600 ceramic stones. Should I by the 5 / 3.5 diamond paste strops or the 1 / .5 diamond paste leather strops after using the 1200 / 1600 ceramic stones?

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

I have no experience with either of these specific products so take my opinion for what it’s worth.

Grit recedes deeply into a soft substrate like leather therefore compounds act far finer than their particle size would suggest. Look at the micrographs provided[/url] for both the 1600 ceramic and 14 micron pasted strop. The 14 micron strop produces a far higher polish. Skipping it and attempting to jump to a finer compound i.e. 5 micron will probably not work as well as you would like, especially if your goal is a mirror polish. I recommend that you get the 14/10 micron strops to use after the 1600 ceramics.

Mark McClain
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

I agree totally with the 14/10 combo that is all you can afford to get. Honestly, after my ceramics, I use the 14/10 strop combo, Then I go to the 5/3.5 then I use the 1.05 and add two more with substrates of CBN. That’s just me you will do fine with that. Best of success.

Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks to both of you for steering me in the right direction.

Ian Minton
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 8

When I about my wicked edge Pro package 1 I opted to get the 1200 / 1600 ceramic stones in place of the leather strops. After using the wicked edge for a while I’m wanting to buy some leather strops to further polish the edge. I’m not sure which strops to buy going from the 1200 / 1600 ceramic stones. Should I by the 5 / 3.5 diamond paste strops or the 1 / .5 diamond paste leather strops after using the 1200 / 1600 ceramic stones?

If I may offer some insight that has worked with me to get a mirror polish:

I go through the routine of taking the edge up to 1000 on the diamond stones, then 1200/1600 ceramics. After that I strop with wet dry sandpaper: 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500.

After that I use the leather strops with 5.0 and 3.5 and then another set with 1.5 and 0.5 paste. The results are quite fetching and the edge is very very sharp, but not toothy.

Keep in mind- for me it’s a terrific edge for kitchen knives… For my Sebenza 25, 21, and Nyala it’s not the best utility edge. Most people will probably agree a toothier edge is better for outdoor use but of late I haven’t been out camping or fishing, and I won’t be hunting this year so food prep and light EDC carry is about all my knives are getting aside from the occasional yard and gardening work.

Kyle
    Participant
    • Replies: 8

If you can only get one I would suggest 14/10 micron. I did a test on a knife and jumped from the ceramics to 5/3.5, bypassing the 14/10 and while it was extremely sharp I wasn’t that satisfied so I jumped back to the 14/10 micron and the knife was CRAZY sharp after stropping with those. I then progressed to the 5/3.5 microns and had an insane edge.

Aaron
    Participant
    • Replies: 18

I have and use both, and am planning to buy the 14/10 as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.