Advanced Search

25cm carving knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion 25cm carving knife

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Hi,

In the title.

Is wicked edge good for doing such long knives and keeping a consistent
    edge along its length? Do you need any special techniques when sharpening such knives?

Cheers

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey Braveheart,

I have done a 25 cm (10″) carving knife with no problem. Here are my lessons learned:

• Hold the tip with my hand when starting out with 100 diamonds and scrubbing hard to do the re-profile (or maybe I use too much pressure)
    • May need 2 or passes with each side. I.e – right stone down back half of blade, left stone down back half of blade, right stone down front half, left down front half. Since the stone may not be long enough to get 10″ in one pass.
    • When I use the 2 or 3 pass technique above I try to mix up where each pass ends, so that the entire edge is blended. If I was doing 2 passes I would split the blade 50/50 one time, then next stroke to 40/60, then 60/40, back to 50/50 and so on.

My knife was pretty easy, a Henkels 10″ slicer. The edge is very straight the entire length of the knife and the tip has very little belly or curve. So I clamped it right in the middle. If you have more curve at the tip you may have to adjust the setup more to find the sweet spot.

Otherwise I just sharpened it like any other knife. Checked my setup with a sharpie marker, used even lighter pressure since this blade was so flexible, made sure I had a bur along along the entire length.

Andrew
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Seems like it might be a little bit trickier than the average chefs knife

I’ll give that a try

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

It’s not bad. About like a 9″ chef knife, but you will notice the flex in the blade. This was good as it really got to focus of “feel” and pay attention to how much pressure I am using.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.