Advanced Search

2017 gen 3 vice

Recent Forums Main Forum 2017 gen 3 vice

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Metalhead
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hello, I have been using my gen 1 sharpener for about 3 years now and I’m interested in some upgrades.  I’m definitely going to upgrade the arms as I’m still using the originals with the double pivot.  I’m interested in the gen 3 vice but I’ve heard criticisms of it such as inability to handle small angles,  poor gripping strength, not truly capable of handling full flat ground blades, etc.  In one of the other recent posts on this forum, someone said that the 2017 gen 3 vice addresses these shortfalls and has been improved for 2017.   To be honest I’m an intermediate sharpener who only sharpens occasionally and my old gen 1 vice actually works pretty well but I am intrigued by this vice if it actually performs as well as it should.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome to the forum Metalhead!

I don’t have the new 2017 version of the clamp (yet), but I can speak to a few of the issues you mentioned with the first version.

The angles you can get on any given knife before hitting the clamp depend heavily on the height of the blade; the taller the blade, the lower the angles you can achieve because it moves the cutting edge away from the clamp jaws. On blades that don’t sit very high off of the clamp, low angles can be inhibited by the clamp jaws. That said, you can also get the low angle adapter or the Tormek small knife adapter and then lower angles become almost a non-issue.

I have never had an issue with weak clamping. It is true that you can’t adjust how much force is applied, but I can lift the whole sharpening unit by a knife handle and it does not move.

I don’t own any FFG blades, so I can’t speak to that, but clamping FFG blades that are also tapered from heel to tip is one of the issues that the design changes were specifically intended to address.

I am looking forward to trying the improved 2017 clamp design. Josh (Razor Edge Knives) gave it a glowing review, and that guy is one of the most skilled sharpeners out there, so you know it is going to be good.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Metalhead
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Thanks Organic.  I just watched Josh’s review of 2017 vice and he does a great job reviewing it and adressing my concerns.  The 2017 version looks outstanding.  I did call wicked edge today and I was told that the upgrade version will not be available for a few more weeks so once it becomes available I’ll be placing my order.  Can’t wait to get it!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Tom gives a written review here:

Generation 3 Pro – NEW 2017 Model

You have to scroll down to the reviews, and click on “view more”.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

It’s legit, you won’t be disappointed! They nailed it on the 2017 model. If you already have everything else I would just purchase the vise and retrofit it into your current system.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

I agree wholeheartedly with Josh.  It’s a great system, but upgrades are the way to go if you already have a rig you’re comfortable with.  WE does an awesome job in putting together upgrade kits to give you the most bang for the buck.  Most important for a Gen 1 user would be the micro-adjustable spherical-joint arms with the riser block and next is the Gen 3 vise, which I’m sure will be the updated Gen 3.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Viking
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 11

I bought the Gen 3 Pro 2017 model and it has had no problems gripping the Spyderco Paramilitary 2.  I am able to lift the whole unit up by the blade.  On my Gen 3 Pro 2017 model, there is a tension adjustment that helps a lot with different thickness blades.  Also, I have no experience with the previous version of the Gen 3 Pro, but it seems that the split jaws really do make a difference in the clamping ability of distally tapered knives.  So far, I am extremely happy with it.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    hjl2
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 5

Hi

Can the Gen 3 vice clamp the following knives: Spyderco endura,Spyderco delica, Spyderco ladybug?

Thanks

hjl2

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Hi Can the Gen 3 vice clamp the following knives: Spyderco endura,Spyderco delica, Spyderco ladybug? Thanks hjl2

I saw your question two days ago and figured that someone with personal experience would surely reply, but no one stepped up to the plate. I don’t have any Spyderco knives in my possession to test, but Clay has demonstrated that Spyderco blades are no problem in the Gen. 3 clamp (especially the 2017 version). I can confidently say that the generation 3 clamp will hold those blades.

Clay sharpens a paramilitary 2 on the 2017 generation 3 pro.

Clay sharpens a paramilitary 3 on the 2017 generation 3 pro.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

I use the Gen 3 and the Gen 3 Pro (2017) to sharpen my Delica and my Stretch – no problems.  Agree with Organic.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Well………Guess I’ve got my next purchase figured out. Been using the gen 3 vise since March, going to have to upgrade to the 2017 soon I suppose.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.