Advanced Search

2016 Pro Pack 1

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started 2016 Pro Pack 1

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    JimR
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 8

I recently worked on two knives with a curved edge and was most pleased with the bevel I got when I clamped the knife (as Marc suggested) “roughly centered to the curved edge fore and aft so the imagined line is horizontal roughly parallel to the vise’s flat tips”.

One of those two knives had a factory edge bevel exactly as you described – I was removing Sharpie in the middle of the bevel and not reaching either the shoulder or the apex. Such a convex bevel was very likely done on the slack side of a belt grinder. If you pick a bevel angle that removes Sharpie in the center you’ll slightly re-profile the bevel but end up with one similar in width to the factory profile but re-profiled to match the “V” bevel of the Wicked Edge.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 62
    • Replies: 2406

Such a convex bevel was very likely done on the slack side of a belt grinder. If you pick a bevel angle that removes Sharpie in the center you’ll slightly re-profile the bevel but end up with one similar in width to the factory profile but re-profiled to match the “V” bevel of the Wicked Edge.

I concur with JimR’s assessment.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.