Advanced Search

2016 Pro Pack 1

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started 2016 Pro Pack 1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 24

Hi folks!  I’m trying to upgrade to a Wicked Edge system, but I live overseas and getting my hands on the system is a bit more challenging.  I’ve found a 2016 version of the Pro Pack 1 available locally.  What I’m having a hard time finding is what the differences are between the current version and the 2016 version to decide if the 2016 is a good choice.  Since it’s already in country, I save about $300 in shipping and import fees buying this 2016 model over ordering a current model and importing it.  I’ll be using it to sharpen a range of fixed blade knives as well as machetes.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Steve, the WE100 is an entry level sharpener.  The Pro Pack 1 is a better equip and accessorized model then just the basic WE100.  It is equipped with a decent selection of sharpening  stones and a few other accessory features.  It utilizes the basic standard vise clamping system with angle adjustments to 1/2° increments.  There is no ability to make fine angle adjustments with this model setup.

There are some minor cosmetic or appearance differences and the rotating joints or swivel ball ends on the guide rods have improved over the years, between the 2016 version and the 2020-2021 version of the WE100.  Still, the functionality and operation are identical between the older model and the newest model.  They have the same precision and manufactured quality.  I don’t think the differences in the older vs the newer Pro Pack 1 is worth that difference in price you stated.

The WE100 can be upgraded at a later time to improve it’s functionality and adjustability.  Many accessories are available.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Steve
    Participant

Thank you very much for the quick response.  That is exactly what I needed to know.  I will move forward with the 2016 model.

Steve
    Participant

When I tried to buy the 2016 version, the local company revealed that their website was wrong and they were actually out of stock. I ended up ordering a WE120 without the ProPack to save on some shipping cost. I also ordered the 15″ guide rods to help with the longer machetes and the advanced alignment guide.  I will need to come up with my own base, but that seems easy enough.  Any other advice for additional components I should look at to get started? I feel like the 400/600 stones will be sufficient for machetes, but for shorter fixed blades and folders it seems that a finer grit might be needed to get the job done.  Any suggestions for next steps are much appreciated.  I’ve been reading through the forum and really appreciate all of the great information you folks have already made available!

Steve
    Participant

I found several similar questions posted  in the forum archives with great answers from MarcH and others. Based on those, I’ve ordered an 800/1000 and a leather strop (1/.5). Any other suggestions are certainly welcome.

Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

When you get your sharpener cover the “Ball-Joints” with something like the cut off finger of a glove, to protect the “Ball-Joint” from diamond dust and metal dust.

MarcH

Steve, it’ll take a good 8-10 knives worth of sharpening to break in the sharpening stones.  During that break in period the stones will shed and lose loose and excess abrasives and plating.   The stones will seem to be very messy.  They’ll start with a rougher cruder scratch pattern.  By the end of their break in period the scratch patterns become cleaner, more uniform and predictable in use.

The 8-10 knife, stone break in period, is about the same length of time it requires many new users to get the basics down for using the W.E. and to figure out how to utilize some of the basic sharpening strokes and develop a sharpening technique.  Save your good or better knives for when your stones are broken in and you have a pretty good idea of what to do to sharpen them and how to do it correctly.

The single most important sharpening accessory besides a digital angle cube is a USB digital microscope.  These are two tools that are extremely helpful for me to sharpen knives well, repeatedly.

The Wicked Edge Knowledge Base is an extremely helpful information source.  Also there are many You Tube videos, both good and bad ones, posted by W.E. users.  Some are helpful, others not so much.  Also a well worded “Google” search including the key words “Wicked Edge Forum” can yield multiple forum posts,  both recent and older ones that you may find helpful and useful.

Last,  I’ll share is the WE120 uses the Standard Vise clamping system.  This requires some practice to learn to use that well and clamp knives securely.  The standard vise has some clamping characteristics you will become familiar with, with experience.  There are many good forum posts and a couple good videos that will help you with these challenges.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH

Here is a very helpful and informative video for the new W.E. user.  Don’t worry about the title.  Tom, the video’s maker exhibits and explains several sharpening strokes and basic sharpening techniques very well.

Here is the link to Clay Allison’s channel.  Clay Allison is the owner and maker of the Wicked Edge.  He has posted many videos you may find helpful both now and later on.

Here is the link to Oldawan Tools to Stay Sharp. (Oldawan is one of the licensed W.E. dealer).  Bob has posted some good videos for the WE120 users.  These videos are dated but still relevant.

Here is a video posted by our forum regular tcmeyer on clamping the FFG blade in the Standard Vise and correcting for the inherent blade lean associated with this vise style.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Steve
    Participant

Great tips. I’ll dig into the listed resources and keep reading the forum. Thank you very much for the help!

Steve
    Participant

As I’ve been reading and watching the great resources listed above, I’ve seen several mentions to the concern that Dwight mentioned with metal and diamond dust getting into the mechanism or (in some posts) your lungs. I’ve seen multiple suggestions including adding washers to the bottom of the guide rod, magnets to the base, covers to the joints, Clay even mentioned putting soap suds on the stones while sharpening to contain the dust. How big of an issue is the dust, what is the risk from it, and is there a consensus on how to best address it? Thanks again for all of your help as I try to get up to speed on the basics.

MarcH

If you can feel something up high in the back of your throat, behind your nose, you should be wearing a dust mask.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 404

My take on it is, why take a chance? It’s not that big of a problem to wear a N95 mask while sharpening knives. Better safe than sorry…

Steve
    Participant

Thanks!  Aside from any potential health risk, I assume the issue is that shavings could get into the ball joints and damage the mechanism.  Do most of you cover the ball joints, add washers to the guide rods, add magnets to the base, soap up your stones, or just use the WE as shipped? I’ve seen a lot of posts and videos about this issue, but there seems to be a lack of consensus. Clay had one video recommending soap on the stones, but in no other video have I seen him using that technique. 😉

MarcH

I found the soap on the sponge more trouble then it was worth.  I prefer to keep my diamond stones dry.  I don’t wash my stones.  I have a few high carbon non-stainless steel knives.  This steel dust can rust when it gets wet.  For maintenance, I simply wipe the stones clean with a dry shop towel when they appear that a cleaning is needed.  If the stones appear to be holding steel I take the shop vacuum to the stones.

I did use magnets years ago to attract the steel dust.  I found the magnets got black and furry with the magnetized steel dust.  The dust doesn’t wipe off the magnets.  It’s attraction to the magnets is very strong.  It simply got pushed around the magnets and builds and builds.  The magnets only catch and hold what dust falls right close to them.   Now I use a shop towel that I wrap around the sharpener’s base then l spread it out to cover everything.  All the steel dust falls on the towel and gets trapped.   When the towel gets dirty I simply replace it.

WE-Covered-for-Wetstone-Use

I use Radio Control cars axel boots slipped down over the guide rods and covering the ball ends.  Every once in a while I still wipe the ball ends clean with a dry shop towel then lubricate the balls with a dry Teflon lubricant suitable for bicycle gear sets.

Here’s a link to W.E. sharpener accessories.  The axel boots are shown in photos in “NotSharpEnuff” product sheets.

The accessories and modifications are user’s preference.   None of these things are necessary to sharpen your knives well.  They are for convenience.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

Steve asked How big of an issue is the dust.

The issue is at its worst when all the Diamond stones are new.

I do not see people in “Wicked Edge” videos wearing face mask. but there is nothing wrong with being safe and wearing a face mask.

I use a small fan with the air moving to my left or to my right so the dust can not just hang in the air right where I am breathing.

If I am out side the wind works just fine.– but that is me.

Steve asked How to best address it

I like Clay’s “soap & water” video.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.