Advanced Search

1200/1600 ceramics or microfine ceramics?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started 1200/1600 ceramics or microfine ceramics?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kyle
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

Hello guys I just purchased a pro pack 1 and need some advice. Should I purchase the 1200/1600 ceramics or the micro fine ceramics if I can only afford to get one set? I’ve been doing some searching on the forums here and it’s hard to find much info on the microfines and Amazon only has one review of them. What do you guys think? Thank you!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I think the first question is why do you think you need them? The 1000 grit diamond stones take you to the finest edge required for practical sharpening. For all the blathering we do here on the forum about achieving the most spectacular, mirror-like edges, it’s all for show. The fact is that there is little to be gained by continuing past 1000-grit. We don’t do it because we need to. We do it because we can.

That said, I vote for the micro-fines. They’ll give you a strop-like edge in no time.

I think I just stepped on my dick. Be gentle, guys.

Kyle
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

I think the first question is why do you think you need them? The 1000 grit diamond stones take you to the finest edge required for practical sharpening. For all the blathering we do here on the forum about achieving the most spectacular, mirror-like edges, it’s all for show. The fact is that there is little to be gained by continuing past 1000-grit. We don’t do it because we need to. We do it because we can.

That said, I vote for the micro-fines. They’ll give you a strop-like edge in no time.

I think I just stepped on my dick. Be gentle, guys.

Hahha thanks for the reply. Yea I’m basically just looking to acheive that high polish mirrored bevels on my knives for show off purposes and to cure my OCD. I have extreme sharpening OCD and although I can get my knives crazy sharp on my sharp maker they just are not perfectly beveled mirrored edges and knowing that I can acheive that I have to go ahead and cure my itch. Thank you for your insight. God speed.

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Id get the micro fines. They are a better quality stone and they are closer to the thickness of the diamond stones so you don’t have to change your angle when you use them. You will have to lap them though. They aren’t flat and the consistency isn’t quite right out of the box. Once you lap them through all of the grits…they do a great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manny
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 15

I happen to have a set of them that I haven’t used yet,what’s the best way to lap them? Thanks

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

I lapped mine on this:
    http://www.amazon.com/DMT-W6FP-Diamond-Whetstone-Sharpener/dp/B00004WFU7/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1427218075&sr=8-12&keywords=dmt+bench+stone+fine

It made a world of difference on my 1200/1600 ceramics. I will also be doing it to the micro fines and putting up some test data eventually.

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

Never used the micro fines but I have the 1200/1600 ceramics, and I think they work just fine going from the 1000s to these ceramics to the strops. After the stones break in this progression can create a very nice mirrored edge.

I will say my love affair with mirrored edges has ended. I really do not go above 1000 grit now for a couple reasons. I like the bite of the toothier edge, it’s less time consuming, and I like the look of a shiny, semi-polished edge better sort of like what Chris Reeve puts on their knives. IMO aesthetically a half ass done mirror polish looks bad, and some time and attention to detail is required to get it done right.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.