Advanced Search

1200/1600 Ceramics don’t seem to be working

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives 1200/1600 Ceramics don’t seem to be working

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jamey Howard
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 63

Following on from my “Life after PP1” thread…

I’ve received my set of 1200/1600 ceramics and I’m feeling a bit disappointed, so thought I’d ask for advice here as I might be doing something wrong.

I did my first knife using them and the end result was that the bevels actually looked less shiny than they did with the 1k diamond stones. Plus the knife wouldn’t shave arm hair (every knife I’ve done up til now has managed to pass that test) and wasn’t particularly great at cutting paper either.

But the ceramics were definitely contacting the edge as I have a lot of that flaking / powder coming off that I’ve seen mentioned in other threads. I thought maybe that was affecting it but people seem to say there’s no break-in for the ceramics, in previous threads I’ve seen folks say that even with the ‘kiln layer’ flaking off they still perform right, but I’m not sure that’s the case for me.

Also, just touching them with my finger the 1200 side actually feels smoother than the 1600 side does. When I lap them together (1200 to 1200 and 1600 to 1600) the 16k sides feel more rough and friction-y than the 12k sides do.

Oh and when I lap them together none of the powder comes off, I have to actually sharpen a knife for them to flake. Not sure why but it seems to only happen when the ceramics are touching steel.

When I did the knife it was a progression all the way from about 200 up to the superfines and I made sure I was getting out all of the scratches up to 1k.

Bit disheartened and don’t know what to do 🙁

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Jamey,

I think they’ll settle in after some more use. If not, we’ll do whatever we need to take care of you. You might try moistening them a little. I like using slightly soapy water on them and find I get great results that way.

–Clay

-Clay

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Jamey,

I like using slightly soapy water on them and find I get great results that way.

–Clay

Cool tip!

Jamey, break those bad boys in.
    Love those ceramics.
    Break them in and get a feel for them, great stones.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Soapy water will make the ceramics fall off the paddles. I was told not to use soapy water and to reglue the stone back on with gorilla glue. The 1200/1600 are either Chippy/dusty or perfectly smooth, not pitted and feel like they should when sharpening . Just my experience with them. A good pair are definitely worth it

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Water/soapy water may or may not loosen the tape holding the ceramic to the paddle. One of my ceramics came off, and I used gorilla glue to reattach it. Try using a sponge saturated with soapy water to dampen the surface of the ceramics rather than immersing them in the solution. I do this with all my “stones” to cut down on dust from sharpening.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Jamey, when I first got my 1200/1600 ceramics, I also thought someone producing these stones accidentally switcht sides. The 1200 felt and sounded more coarse than the 1600. After some use, it’s clear the 1200 are more coarse. I must say I still haven’t gotten 100% used to their sound. But by now they’re my fav stones after the diamond stones.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jamey Howard
    Participant

Thanks everyone, I’ll try all your tips and make sure I’m careful with water so the ceramic doesn’t come away from the paddle.

And thanks Clay, hopefully it won’t come to that, I’m sure it’s probably just me doing it wrong.

…when I first got my 1200/1600 ceramics, I also thought someone producing these stones accidentally switcht sides

Funny you should say that, one of the first things I did after using them was to go on the product page on this website and check the photos to see whether mine had accidentally been swapped over. The side with the white plastic has grey ceramic and the side with the grey plastic has white ceramic, but from what you said above it sounds like I probably don’t need to worry, just break them in.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

The side with the white plastic has grey ceramic and the side with the grey plastic has white ceramic, but from what you said above it sounds like I probably don’t need to worry, just break them in.

That is switched (at least from what I have, but mine are old?)… so I guess it depends on how they’re marked. The white ceramic should be the finer side.

Jamey Howard
    Participant

That is switched (at least from what I have, but mine are old?)… so I guess it depends on how they’re marked. The white ceramic should be the finer side.

Interesting, I’ll have a look later.

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

I use a model paintbrush (about 1/4″ wide or so) and wet down the stones with plain water before I use them. You’d be surprised how much water they soak up. I stop painting them with water when they stop absorbing the water.

After using the 1600 then I strop with the 5 and 3.5, and get a reasonable mirror-ish finish, not as perfect as many who strive for it here using even finer stones and strops, but I am not hung up on the perfect mirror. Still plenty, plenty sharp to push-cut a hangnail, etc.

I only go for the full monty like this when I’m doing a favorite pocket knife for me or a friend, I stop at the 1000 diamonds for the kitchen knives.

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

Why does the 1600 seem to give so many people fits? I thought there was no breakin with ceramics. So why are people lapping them?

The more I read the more I realize how little I know. My learning curve is starting to look like a a diagonal line going from the upper left corner to the lower right. But it is still fun . . . and sometimes I get to cut myself in the process (so my learning curve is really a RED line.) :ohmy:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I thought there was no breakin with ceramics. So why are people lapping them?

Try this: http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/the-mystery-of-the-spyderco-and-the-wicked-edge-ceramic-stones/

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.