Advanced Search

1.4/.6 stones vs. Spyderco brown and white ceramic

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives 1.4/.6 stones vs. Spyderco brown and white ceramic

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 11

Hi All,

Received my 1.4/.6 stoneset yesterday and was just wondering; they look and feel like Spyderco white (fine) and brown (medium) stone. Is it the same material?
    Looking forward using them! :cheer:

Tomas

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi All,

Received my 1.4/.6 stoneset yesterday and was just wondering; they look and feel like Spyderco white (fine) and brown (medium) stone. Is it the same material?
    Looking forward using them! :cheer:

Tomas

Surprise! … http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/the-mystery-of-the-spyderco-and-the-wicked-edge-ceramic-stones/

Enjoy!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Tomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 11

Thanks Mark, very interesting article 🙂

Simarjeet Sahni
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

I was sharpening up my damascus sebenza, and I noticed the blade had a noticeable difference in bite with the 1.4 stones vs. the .6 stones. The 1.6 had tons of bite, where as the .6, while still sharp, would glide a ton more on printer paper. Anyone else experience this?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I was sharpening up my damascus sebenza, and I noticed the blade had a noticeable difference in bite with the 1.4 stones vs. the .6 stones. The 1.6 had tons of bite, where as the .6, while still sharp, would glide a ton more on printer paper. Anyone else experience this?

I think you are experiencing the norm? .6 is going to have less “teeth” then the 1.6 You can go from one side to the other if you try a slow cut with the 100’s and work you way up through the grits. Kind of fun if you have not done it before? 😆

Simarjeet Sahni
    Participant

Anyone know where the microfine stones come in on the grit chart? I would love to see clay update his version with pictures 🙂

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Anyone know where the microfine stones come in on the grit chart? I would love to see clay update his version with pictures 🙂

Thanks for the reminder. I’m gearing up to re-shoot all the grits under the new microscope (not new anymore but new since I last updated the chart) and with the new microscope stage I had built so the photos can be really consistent. I’ll jump on that and get the chart updated.

-Clay

Simarjeet Sahni
    Participant

Thanks Clay, looking forward to seeing the update 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.