Advanced Search

Reply To: Stone Sequence

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Stone Sequence Reply To: Stone Sequence

dulledge
Participant
  • Topics: 12
  • Replies: 183

so my upgrade plan is to buy the precision arms, the angle gauge and either the 1500 grit diamond or the 1200/1600 ceramic stones… what is your advice between those two stone choices?

The new 1500 grit stone may replace 9µ and 6µ films, but it wasn’t confirmed which one is better yet. Film or the new 1500 grit diamond stone. Many people like diamond lapping film (not ceramics). See quotes below:

wickededge: I’ve had a lot of success going from the 1000# diamond to the 6µ films. Link here

M1rrorEdge:  I have all the ceramic stones and once I identified the diamond film benefits (and used them), I no longer use the ceramics (They are “retired”-so to speak).   I have tried the strops, however, I prefer the films over the leather strops with diamond paste. Link here

Mark76: SInce I’ve discovered the diamond films I want nothing else – they’re great. Link here

tcmeyer: I don’t think there’s much doubt that diamond film gives you a more uniform finish than the ceramic stones and like you, I have retired my ceramics. Link here

droc217: Got the lapping films. I feel like the ceramic stones were a complete and total waste of money … Link here

3 users thanked author for this post.