Advanced Search

Wire Edges

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that it could be both?  Some diamonds can come loose from the substrate, but wouldn’t that just focus the applied pressure more on the diamonds remaining(less nails in the bed)?

And wouldn’t one errant larger diamond receive a point force of impact not shared by its buddies?  This to my logic would make it very susceptible to “cleavage”.

This article below (originally posted by Cbwx) has very good information regarding commercial-grade diamonds.  It even discusses a test where the diamond is placed in a capsule with a single ball bearing and shaken to see how many diamond particles get flaked off.

http://industrialdiamonddirect.blogspot.com/2006/02/industrial-diamond-properties-and.html

Also mentioned in the article is a process called “graphitized”.  I’m very curious if that may not be in fact what we witness with the bronze cutter machine in the video above?

Aloha,
    Cliff

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

tcmeyer- Thanks for your response. Based on your experience with your uncle which could help this discussion tremendously, do you happen to know the speed of the diamond coated cutting disk and the polishing disk? I believe that the reason the pressure on the wheels was so light, is that the speed/ velocity, angle of attack (With the grain) and the remarkably hard stones of two different sizes made the cutting effortless. It doesn’t mean that the frictional forces between the two were not tremendous at the apex of the cutting disk.  

I would have guessed that the speed of the cutting wheel and the horizontal platen were between 100 and 300 rpm.  Maybe less.  On doing a quick search, though, I see that the Worksharp horizontal wheel runs at 580 rpm.  Another lapidary unit I found says theirs runs at 1400 rpm.  Of course, all of these operate with a liquid wash.

Tom

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.