Advanced Search

Wicked Edge GO, deluxe bag, and bundle package

Recent Forums Main Forum Wicked Edge GO, deluxe bag, and bundle package

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Kaplan
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 27

Hey guys, we’re thinking of putting together some kind of bundle package for the Wicked Edge GO. The current offering includes a basic bag without extra pockets for stones, but there is storage space inside the sharpener’s base for the included 200/600 grit diamond stones. We’re also making a larger, deluxe bag from a tougher material that has two extra pockets for stones, strops, etc. If you were buying a GO, would you opt for the deluxe bag and possibly a bundle with it? If so, what would you include? We’re thinking that the GO-Pack could include the deluxe bag, the 800/1000 grit diamond stones, and some other set of stones or strops. Would you include ceramic stones, leather strops, mabe the 1500 grit diamond stones with some lapping film?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Actually, I think that the 200/600 stone combination is a weird twist, as the GO owner couldn’t opt to add a 400 grit stone without duplicating the 600’s.  I use the 400’s far more than any other grit.

I know this is a dumb idea, but I think the combination of the 1500/glass stones is an oddball and I’d rather see a set comprised of 200/400, 600/800 and 1000/1500 stones.  If a user wanted to try film, he/she would add a pair of glass/glass blocks, (which I’d use with 6/3 micron film).

I never, ever use my 100 grit stones and I really like the 1500’s, so this combination gives me the full range of 200 thru 1500 grit stones in only three pairs.  You can be sure now that I’ve said it, I’ll need the 100’s tomorrow.  Never fails.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Actually, I think that the 200/600 stone combination is a weird twist, as the GO owner couldn’t opt to add a 400 grit stone without duplicating the 600’s. I use the 400’s far more than any other grit. I know this is a dumb idea, but I think the combination of the 1500/glass stones is an oddball and I’d rather see a set comprised of 200/400, 600/800 and 1000/1500 stones. If a user wanted to try film, he/she would add a pair of glass/glass blocks, (which I’d use with 6/3 micron film). I never, ever use my 100 grit stones and I really like the 1500’s, so this combination gives me the full range of 200 thru 1500 grit stones in only three pairs. You can be sure now that I’ve said it, I’ll need the 100’s tomorrow. Never fails.

Tom you are so right, my friend.  I too would rather see 50/100, 200/400, 600/800 and 1000/1500 for the Diamond Stone options.  It certainly makes more sense to me.  I don’t care for mixed abrasive media on the same paddle.  I like my abrasives racked and segregated, hoping it prevents cross contamination.  It just makes more sense to this old OCD mind, like with like.

In response to Kyle’s Post. The GO Bag seems like a very practical idea.  Maybe like a Chef’s Knife Roll with Handle.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

These are really interesting comments. The reason we chose the 2/6 combo was to give the user the ability to repair damage and/or reprofile a blade with the 200 grit and then be able to get a good working edge with the 600 grit. The basic GO package just has the one set of stones to be more affordable. If I’m hearing you guys right, the GO Pack could instead have 200/400, 600/800 and possibly 1000/1500 and just leave off the 200/600?

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH

Actually Clay, I’m thinking the pairs Tom and I suggested above are for us regular WE Home Users and the GO pairs have they’re place also.  Both options could be offered, if possible.  But probably what you said for the GO Pack: 200/400, 600/800, and possibly 1000/15000 would make more sense.  Then you wouldn’t have two sets of stones to make and inventory; one for the GO, and the second for every other System.  Thanks for listening to our feedback.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think that the best three paddle combination for a WE GO deluxe kit would be 200/400, 600/800 and 1000/ leather with 5 micron paste or 4 micron emulsion. The 1500 platens are great, but I would contend that a stropped 1000 grit edge will have better cutting performance than an edge straight off of the 1500 diamond plate. The downside is that this would require new grit combinations to be manufactured and it again has mixed sharpening media on the same paddle which is kind of weird.

If you wanted to prevent having to manufacture yet another a new stone combination, then I would suggest the 200/600, 800/1000, and the 5/3 leather strops. My second choice would be 200/600, 800/1000, and 1500 / 6 micron lapping film.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant

I think the idea of one pair of stones for the basic GO is right on, but for the vast majority of blades, that would really limit you to one grit – the 600’s.  And it would take a lot of 600-grit work to finish an apex after working it with the 200’s or when you have a chip in the edge.  Maybe the 200/400 makes more sense in that case.  Not coincidentally, it fits in my dream lineup of 200/400, 600/800, 1000/1500.

What would really be the cat’s ass here would be the magnetic handles with a complete set of loose stones (2 each of 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1500 grits).  It would add a couple of pounds to the basic GO bag, but wouldn’t take up all that much room.  Would also reduce the cost of adding stones to the basic kit.  Good feature for entry-level users.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey Tom.  I really like your “dream lineup” idea of 200/400, 600/800, 1000/1500.  I think that is a winning combo, and all only  on three pairs of stones!  I’d like to see this come to be, great input!

Alan

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

What would really be the cat’s ass here would be the magnetic handles with a complete set of loose stones (2 each of 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1500 grits).

I’m working on something like that as a pro handle set. The handle would include a high tolerance bushing or would be bored through a metal handle. It would have some other pretty great features like having one end hinged so that convex angles could be created precisely. If feasible, it would include built in angle gauges and be magnetic to accept all the diamond stones.

-Clay

MarcH

I wonder if magnets are the way to go when dealing with metal dust and filings.  Following a forum suggestion, years ago I tried using some small but really strong magnets placed on the sides of my WE vice to catch the metal dust falling from knives I was sharpening.  The magnets worked very well and captured a lot of the metal dust.  I didn’t have them wrapped or covered with something removable.  Like simply paper, that I could unwrap and discard and take the metal with it.  So I ended up with magnets full of metal dust and no way to remove it.  No matter what I did those magnets are so powerful I couldn’t remove the metal filings and dust.  It just wipes and moves around.

I do like the idea of a metal or nylon bushed paddles of greater tolerance and diamond stone pairs like suggested above.  I don’t think an angle device on each paddle is necessarily a good idea.  I think that’s another opportunity for different readings and inaccuracies.  At least when I use only one angle device the error should be the same error for each and every stone I measure with it, consistently.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Great ideas above combining the stones!

What would really be the cat’s ass here would be the magnetic handles with a complete set of loose stones (2 each of 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1500 grits).

I’m working on something like that as a pro handle set. The handle would include a high tolerance bushing or would be bored through a metal handle. It would have some other pretty great features like having one end hinged so that convex angles could be created precisely. If feasible, it would include built in angle gauges and be magnetic to accept all the diamond stones.

Imho it would do 2 things… 1. eliminate bulk for those that transport their wicked edge to shows and such, and 2. allow for some REALLY nice, comfortable, luxury paddles since you would always use the same paddles, just switch out the stones. And maybe a 3rd point to this would be that you could add some radiused platens (steel backed of course – so they would stick to the magnets) which would allow for lapping films to be used on heavy recurves such as karambits. Not to derail this thread too much but I have toyed w/ the idea of using linear bearings, such as these self aligning linear ball bearings, which offer 2 advantages to sleeve bearings.

• They do not need lube
    • They are really smooth and really tight
    MarcH

I like the linear bearing thought.  I wonder if they’re made with hard low compression nylon to help keep them quieter.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I like this idea a lot and I think it is the way to go. It seems unnecessary to have a set of paddles for each set of abrasives and it would be highly desirable to have a single set of high tolerance, comfortable paddles to use with every abrasive type. The idea of built in angle gauges is genius because you could measure the angles easily even on the strops and glass platens which aren’t magnetic. I do agree with Marc that magnets may not be the way to go for attachment given the metal dust, but I’m sure you’ll work out the kinks if you make a few prototypes.

The one thing that I think needs to be addressed with the current paddle design is the lack of sufficient clearance between the abrasive and the lip of the paddles. Knives that are sharpened with an edge that goes all the way to the plunge grind (many Kershaw and Spyderco offerings) are difficult or impossible to do properly with the current WE paddle design. This could be addressed by either removing the lip or making the diamond plates thicker so that they protrude further from the paddles.

I look forward to seeing the new designs.

Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

IMHO the 1500 is your sweetest, best stone. Not many in the field are going to use films. If I am backpacking, min. weight is the primary requirement with speed being very helpful. Shiny edges are no help. I need 2 things: fix a broken edge and give me 90%+ of ultimate sharpness (plus maybe start a fire to boot). To get to the benefit of the 1500 your really need to go through the progressions (otherwise it takes too long and you will wear out the stones quicker). Also, protect my fingers from very nasty cuts. Here is what I suggest:

Next Gen Paddle: Develop a next gen paddle using all 4 sides with a stiff handle and 4 positon positive detents. This would allow 4 stones per handle. It must be very resilient to avoid unintended consequences like detent slippage. You can then have just 2 paddle sets (4 sided) with 8 stones using the proven progressions of:

80/100/200/400  and  600/800/1000/1500

Single paddles: Alternatively, you don’t absolutely need 2 stones of everything, I don’t see a reason why you can’t do the following progression: 80 on side A, 80 on side B (raise Burr), 100 on A, 100 on B + 200 on A, 200 on B + 400 on A, 400 on B + 600 on A, 600 on B + 800 on A, 800 on B + 1000 on A, 1000 on B + 1500 on A, 1500 on B. This would require 1 paddle set (4 sided) of:

80/200/600/1000 and 100/400/800/1500

You could also keep the current paddle design and reduce the # of paddles.

Clamping: I use only the Field and Sport Pro and the c-clamp, while effective, is clumsy and cheesy. That being said the ability to clamp to a cutting board, 2×4, table edge, etc is super convenient. I have sharpened while clamped to a flat piece of wood on my lap. A more elegant clamp setup would be nice.

Note: I find the 1500 to be as fine as the 9 micron film and gives great finishes under USB 250x.

Note Note: I feel like I’m part of a design IPT (team), WEPS should have a beta team (like us) with some kickbacks to keep our interest going. Still waiting on a method to sharpen my serrated bread knife, wide mouth for long blades, honing touch up wedge, pointed tip fix, etc.

Great product team !!paddle

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant

Clay:  Have you ever made a prototype with magnets?  I’m not so concerned about filings getting to the magnets as I am that the filings would stick to the face of the stones.  I think steel stones might tend to conduct the magnetic lines of force to the face of the stone.  Also, if you had one magnet with the south ole against the steel and the adjacent magnet with its north pole against the steel, I think it would magnetize the steel so that it would attract filings even when not in use.

I’ve got a few extra home-made blocks around here.  I’ll try to epoxy in some magnets if you haven’t tried it yet.

I have a couple of magnets I use around my workstation and they do collect a lot of filings.  They’re relatively easy to clean though, just by pinching off the majority of the dust with your thumb and index finger.  The few remaining bits can be wiped off to the side of the magnet where they don’t any problems

On the subject of the interference between the block edge and the ricasso, my home-made blocks have no pocket for the stone to be mounted in (they’re just glued on with CA) and that little difference is enough to clear the ricasso on my Stretch.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.